Spotlight camera disconnecting from wifi after plugging in solar panel

Has anyone had issues where your spotlight camera disconnects from your wifi while using a ring solar panel? I have been using the camera for maybe a year without the panel and never had an issue. I bought a panel and connected it and it worked for awhile then just disconnected. Reconnected to wifi and it lasted for a few days then again disconnected from wifi. Unplugged the panel while gone for about two weeks and worked fine. Plugged the panel when got home and disconnected that same day.

Wondering if anyone else has had an issue and what they did about it.

Thanks.

Hi @Merlin66043. The Solar Panel shouldn’t impact the wifi connectivity on your Spotlight Camera. Have there been any other changes with your wifi network or have you added any additional devices that utilize the wifi? Any chances or any new devices on your wifi network could impact the stability of your Spotlight Cam’s wifi connection. I’d also recommend checking the RSSI to make sure it indicates a strong and stable connection. If these concerns continue to persist, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

I’m having the exact same problem. I had this issue on one camera a while back and ended up replacing and upgraded 2 cameras. One is fine, the other has been on and off since I got it and now it has just gotten so bad I can’t get it to run at all unless I run in battery power.

It’s only affecting the one camera, but it disconnects pretty much within an hour of attaching the solar panel and I end up having to completely remove and reinstall it. I have given up and I’m running on battery which sucks. I may switch to another brand that doesn’t have these connectivity issues. It has zero to do with the internet, there is something wonky with these devices and those panels. I may switch to another brand that doesn’t have these connectivity issues.

i have ring spot light cams for 4 yrs, with Solar panels and they worked fine. Note, that my wifi is the best there is. ATT Giga fiber so it’s just about the best you can have. I have all types of things running from it with ZERO problems for years. Just recently my drive way spot light camera disconnected. It would not reattach to wi fi. Despite every other device in my inventory connected and working at 100%. I contacted Ring (BOOO as they send me to the Philippines for people that have less technical ability than I have). Of course i know how to do all the troubleshooting as I attempted to help myself before i ask for help. Any way, it was no use. They sent me a replacement yesterday. I attached it to wi fi with a little trouble. I had to take out the 2 batteries that were in my previous cam and install the new battery that ring sent to get it to work. Well, a couple of hours later, i check in and lo and behold its off line. :(. I’m at my wits end. Something is wrong with these spotlight cameras. I need Help from ring and not from the Philippines.

Hi @southall. What is the RSSI for this device? This can be found in the Device Health section of the Ring app. If you have a low RSSI, moving a WiFi access point or Chime Pro can help improve your connectivity.

I have this issue too! Was getting fed up of having to keep charging both batteries and purchased a Ring solar panel and since installing the solar panel I’m getting ‘low wifi connection’ showing on the Ring app. I have very good wifi and 3 hubs in the house to ensure the signal to the ring camera is always strong. The WiFi hub tells me it’s connected to 6 devices including the Ring camera and the connection to all is ‘very good’. No other issues with WiFi in the house and no issues with WiFi on this Ring camera until the solar panel connected yesterday. This is definitely the solar panel as when the power source reverts back to battery from the hardwired solar panel (at sunset) the low wifi connection issue is not present.
Anyone else had this issue? I also find that occasionally the sound quality has a high pitched loud feedback noise making it impossible to hear anything. This has happened on recording playback and on live feed. Had the camera since around June/July 22 and suspect it’s faulty as the sound issue was there from the offset. Phoned customer services and 48 mins into the call they are still talking to me about my WiFi being the cause. :woman_facepalming:Any advice?