Spotlight camera connection issue!

Hello everyone,

I have been having issue with my battery Spotlight camera that is in the front of my house by the garage. I can’t get the live view to work consistently. My internet service is working fine because I have a 2nd spotlight camera at my back door and Ring doorbell pro camera at the front door (same distance as my garage spotlight camera) that works flawlessly. I contacted customer support and they couldn’t figure it out either and sent me a replacement and it’s the same issue. I had my internet provider come out and move the modem/router closer to the garage (tech area) and still no luck. I’ve tried all the different ways like: resetting the modem/router, removing the camera from the app and reinstalling it, tried it with a wifi extender, and trying it with my cell service versus wifi signal. Pretty much everything I can think of and I hope maybe there’s a trick I don’t know about. Please help!

Hey @Mrbanhbao. Happy to help further here! When you run a speed test at ring.com/speed, could you take a screenshot of those results and share that here? Also, what is the RSSI for this Spotlight Camera that is having this concern? You can learn more about RSSI here.

@Chelsea_Ring My download speed and upload speed looks pretty good from the location where the camera is. My RSSI fluctuate. Sometimes its at 60 and sometimes it can be a high as 70

@Mrbanhbao Chiming in for Chelsea here. The overall speeds look good based on the screenshot you attached. The RSSI does appear to be the cause of this concern if it’s fluctuating between 60 and 70 as you described. I’d recommend reviewing our Help Center Article on RSSI here, as well as taking a look at the Community post that Chelsea shared here. Improving the RSSI will ensure that your Spotlight Cam has a reliable connection to the internet, which should resolve your concern.

I just moved my modem / router to a new location that greatly improved my RSSI -54. I still have an issue loading live view. What is strange is it always seem to work when im at work. And its a hit or miss when im at home trying to load live view.

@Mrbanhbao Thank you for letting me know what you’re seeing on your end. If it is always working when you’re at work versus at home, it sounds like it could be due in part to the connection your phone is receiving. If you’re using wifi when you’re at home, you may want to try connecting to your cellular data instead and seeing how the Live View works then.

If this concern persists on both wifi and data, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers availablehere. They’ll be able to take a closer look and help diagnose the concern and find a resolution. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19here to see how to contact support. Feel free to let us know what support recommends if you contact them, as it can help other neighbors! :slight_smile: