Spotlight Camera battery, no live view

Same issue with my Spotlight Cam battery, live view just stopped working out of the blue, having been pretty solid or a couple of years and I can’t figure out why… battery levels are good signal is strong at the camera etc. I’ve reset my router, IP address has been reserved/unreserved no difference, reset the camera, re-setup WiFi the works - nothing fixed it (all my other Ring cameras work fine (POE stickup and doorbell 2 to chime pro) motion detection still works without issue though, just live view that isn’t…

Rapid Ring makes no difference, nor does turning off advance motion detection. Same behaviour displayed on my Galaxy S9 as on my wife’s iPhone.

My spotlight is connected to and Orbi Rbk50 router with an rssi of circa 54 or ‘good’ - camera gets about 20mb down and 8mb up at the location.

No idea what’s going on, but suspect it’s to do with a firmware update on the camera…

Hi @shinedown78. Thanks for sharing details on what you’ve tried so far and what results you’ve gotten. Since you’ve gone through all of the basic troubleshooting I would have recommended, it would be best for you to touch base with our support team regarding this. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile:

I got a replacement for my Spotlight Cam from Ring re. this live view issue, but low and behold, I am suffering the exact same issue with the new cam. Same story, good speed at camera, good rssi (41) etc, etc.

So I still have the same issues, and, like others have mentioned, this only started happening the past month or so. Before that, rock solid for almost over 2 years.

So ultimately I’ve sent back a perfectly good camera (for a more plastic version of the Spotlight Cam - missing the metal accent features of my old one) when it looks like I didn’t need a replacement afterall (plus I could’ve done without the nightmare of replacing it up a ladder and re-setting up my Smartthings automations etc).

It would be great if someone from Ring would start taking this seriously and look deeper into this issue, something has gone wrong here and all arrows are pointing to a firmware issue that stops the camera from ‘waking up’ properly for live views - as before motion alerts are still instant without any delay in notifications, it’s just live view.

Interestingly, Live View does not work on my Android phone or my wife’s iPhone. However, it does work on the Windows Ring app on my Win 10 PC - so hopefully that gives you something to work with.

Hi there, @shinedown78! Great call on trying another device to access live view. With this working on your Windows 10 device, that is a great indication that your Ring devices are communicating video connections with your network as intended. While the android and iphone are much different in nature, please ensure there is not a vpn enabled on either. To rule out wifi versus cellular data efficiency, please test live view on both phones, once w/ wifi only and once with cellular data only, to see if either connection is stronger.

I recommend also trying the Rapid Ring app, designed for quick live view access and a much less robust app for your mobile device to process. Feel free to let us know how this goes! :slight_smile:

Hi,

No VPN, doesn’t work on cellular networks either, rapid Ring makes no difference. Same on my Galaxy S9 Android 10 as my wife’s iPhone SE. Windows 10 PC still works just fine.

It has to be your side, either a recent app update or camera firmware. The exact same issue is facing loads of people with the new doorbell 3 too…

Note this only started happening around 2 months ago.

For reference, my Stickup elite POE has zero issues and my Doorbell 2 (connected via Chime) also has zero issues.

This is very odd to hear that none of these steps have improved live view connection on your mobile devices. We’ve done a great job to rule out many factors, and it looks like the Spotlight Camera is at least connecting on the network side of things, as it is working with Windows 10.

This certainly should get a closer look, in which our support team is happy to help with more advanced solutions. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. Feel free to also let us know of any solutions you found with the team.