Spotlight Cam won't detect motion

The camera absolutely will not detect motion. I know it’s working because I can see the live view, and audio works. I’ve set up Ring devices & cameras before, so I’m confident I’ve got the settings right. Every attempt to get this expensive camera to detect motion fails.

Hi @RKW. There are a few different settings you can check and adjust to optimize the motion detection on your Ring Security Camera. Try reviewing the settings below:

• Check the Modes settings to ensure that you do not have Motion Detection disabled in the Mode that you’re using your Camera in.
  • Make sure Motion Detection is toggled on under the device dashboard. In the Ring app, tap the menu in the top left > Devices > your Camera > toggle Motion Detection on.
  • Adjust your Motion Zones to capture the areas you want to be notified about motion in. Having a few smaller Motion Zones rather than one large Motion Zone may work better as well.

Finding the combination of Motion Zones and motion settings that work best for you may take some trial and error. If you’d like more in-depth help with your motion settings, you can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile:

All settings are correct.

I’ve temporarily moved it for testing. I now think the problem is signal strength.

1 Like

@RKW It’s definitely possible that an unstable or weak connection can impact the Spotlight Cam’s ability to reliably detect motion. Feel free to update this thread on if moving the Spotlight Cam helped improve the motion detection at all. :slight_smile:

I ended up buying a Chime Pro to strengthen the connection to the spot where I wanted to mount the camera. That seems to be the solution, as it’s working now,