Spotlight cam wiring & power specs?

I’m interested in a few Spotlight cameras for my house. The home once had CCTV type cameras that were wired from the outside location back to an interior closet with power. The cables are “siamese cables” which is essentially a coax + 2 small gauge wires that carried the low voltage DC power from the power adapter in the closet to the cameras.

Does the Ring Spotlight camera send DC voltage from the plug to the camera? If not what are the electrical specs and required wire size? I’d like to use my existing small gauge wires to power the camera but I need to know the power specs & load.

Said differently, does Ring have any cameras that are compatible or could be made functional with POE?

Hi @jjwtjb. We do have a POE camera called the Ring Stick Up Cam Elite. This uses our power over ethernet technology for power and internet connection. Additionally, information about our cams power can be found in the “Tech Specs” section of the product page on Ring.com. I hope this information helps!

1 Like

CCTV wiring aka siamese cable consists of a pair of low voltage wires and a coax cable. It’s not exactly POE so I’d have to cut the Indoor/Outdoor Power Adapter (Barrel Plug) and splice. The specs suggest that this would be appropriate since the output or plug side of the power cable is 5V DC, 2.5A, but I’m not clear if this adapter has 2 or 3 wires leading to the camera.

I’m still not clear if a camera in that configuration would be WiFI or POE and consequently data over ethernet as well.

I’m also not clear if a camera with this barrell adapter plug has enough power to support a light as in the Outdoor Spotlight Cam.

Hey @jjwtjb. We strongly advise you to not dismantle your device in any way, as it may void your warranty. You can learn more about your device’s warranty here. For questions regarding retrofitting your current wiring to work with a new device, it would be best to contact our support team. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

1 Like

Thanks! Bought an EZViz cam.

1 Like