Ring Security Cameras

Browse posts, comment, and join in the discussion about Ring’s indoor and outdoor cameras.
B
Spotlight Cam Pro Freezes When Plugged In With Battery Inside
hardwired-security-cameras
cs-support
I recently ordered a couple Spotlight Cam Pro battery cameras - they were working just fine with two batteries in each unit. One of the units I decided to order the plug in adapter because it was receiving more traffic and the battery wasn't going to last as long - so I had it plugged in and kept the batteries in it just in case the power went out it would still have power for a bit. The problem is with the Spotlight Cam Pro being plugged in with the plug in adapter while having batteries inside - it will eventually go offline. I thought maybe it just needs to be reconnected to WiFi, so I tried, but it is actually in a frozen state. Solid blue light, and tapping the setup button does nothing. Holding the setup button for 20 seconds does nothing. The only way to fix it is to remove the batteries and unplug the unit so that it turns completely off before restoring power to it. I called support and went through the whole process, ended up getting a replacement unit sent out because maybe this one was defective. The new unit is doing the exact same thing. Here is the common denominator and problem that we need Ring to FIX - if you have a Spotlight Cam Pro with any battery(ies) inside while also plugged in with the plug in adapter kit, it will eventually go into a frozen state within a day or so, offline and unreachable in the app. HOWEVER, if you have the Spotlight Cam Pro plugged in with the plug in adapter with NO BATTERIES inside the unit, it will stay online and good forever. Recap: Spotlight Cam Pro battery version works fine if only powered by batteries. Spotlight Cam Pro battery version works fine if only powered by the plug in adapter with NO BATTERIES inside. Spotlight Cam Pro battery version will go into a frozen offline state after a day or so if you have batteries inside and you also power it with a plug in adapter kit. Please fix this Ring!

23-08-2023 04:18:20

Responses (5)

J
Hi @buradd. The Spotlight Cam Pro should be able to perform normally with batteries in it and the plug-in adapter attached to it at the same time. Since your replacement is doing the same thing, it is best to contact our support team to further investigate this concern. Give our support team a call at one of the numbers available [here](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/213608406#callus). If you are outside of the US, please visit [here ](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-gb/articles/213608406)to see how to contact support.

24-08-2023 04:46:25

R
I am having the same symptoms with my Spotlight Cam Pro. (It is taking longer than a day, but it is definitely locking up, and unrepsonsive or reset until the battery is removed, and the external power is cut off, so the device will restart.). It has happened twice already, but telephone support seemed to imply I need to have it happen a third time before we can take any action to try to remediate the issue. My other ring devices work without any issue….

25-09-2023 02:47:53

C
Hi @rabidpitbull. I'd highly recommend following up with support if this issue persists, as they will be able to escalate the issue if needed for further investigation. The Ring Community is a public forum, so we aren't able to view details about calls to support or device information.

27-09-2023 05:46:46

F
I’m having the same issue (with or without batteries). Just changed the camera over. It went offline with solid blue light unable to reset within an hour. Not sure if it’s the power connection itself as that’s the only common piece that I didn’t replace. I’ll try to check that and if necessary replace the whole thing. But the fact this seems to be happening to other people would suggest it’s an known issue for Ring.

23-10-2023 11:38:45

U
The spotlight cam pro is easily worst camera ring produces. I’ve installed several, and NONE are reliable. They will work fine for awhile, but ALWAYS develop issues. The main issues are wifi connection and power. I have had 3 that had an rssi of less than -45, and randomly show an rssi of -95. Rebooting them will resolve this, but only temporarily. Once they start doing this, it becomes a multiple time a day occurrence. These are installed in two different homes, in two different states, and two different wifi networks. I’ve gone through router settings, the routers reboot automatically, once a week. All other ring cameras at these locations work fine, and do NOT have these issues. The power issue is just as aggravating. It doesn’t matter if you purchase the outdoor power adapter to plug into a battery model, or purchase the plug in model that comes with the power adapter. Neither one powers reliably. They seem ok for awhile, but ultimately show that they have “lost power” and show the red plug icon on the dashboard. Again, this isn’t just one camera….this has been a total of 5 spotlight pro cameras….. I’ve gone through all of the useless troubleshooting, and it IS the cameras…. I don’t know if it’s a firmware issue, or what, but like I stated, NONE of my other ring cameras, including floodlight cam pro’s have the issues that the spotlight pro’s do. The jury is still out on the stick up cam pro. I have a few of them, and they have been working fine for a couple of weeks, but time will tell. I’m done wasting money on the spotlight cams though.

16-11-2023 06:50:32

S

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

16-12-2023 06:50:59

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

J

Jventerprises

User
Solution

R

Rick_Madik

User