Spotlight cam pro battery plugged in but says in battery mode

Another moderator on another post said it was fixed on the backend however it is still not working for me. I called support yesterday and they aren’t sure if maybe the issue now is with 3rd party adapters like the ones I am using so they are sending me a Ring adapter to try. I had not problem for months with the 3rd party adapters so clearly this is a software issue. I’m hoping it’s not a ploy to force customer to used their own branded adapters because I refuse to do that.

1 Like

Hi @Mark_CT. This thread is for the Spotlight Cam Battery, while the thread you are referring to is regarding the Stick Up Cam. These are different devices, so the reply in the thread for the Stick Up Cam does not apply here. We do not have an update on the issue affecting the Spotlight Cam Battery at this time, and encourage neighbors to contact our support team if they have not already done so.

Same problem here. Bought this spotlight cam plus plug in version in Nov…installed in Feb and it worked for a few hours and is saying it’s in battery mode even though it’s plugged into the wall outlet. I’ve gone thru multiple troubleshooting sessions with support, including multiple factory resets. One agent told me I was missing batteries and was adamant that there should be batteries included with this plug-in camera…even though the instructions don’t mention anything about batteries. Finally got transferred to 2nd level support and they are asking that I ship this unit back to them. I guess I will have to live without my security camera for a while longer. Very disappointing for such an expensive camera.

Wow. I thought it was just me. Ring Stick Up Cam user here, just saw my cam (with constant power & battery installed) was complaining of battery mode only. Have tested the outlet and the power supply and both are good & working. Camera is stuck now in battery mode only. Need a fix! Out here in California, USA.

I had this same issue. I was using a USB 3.0 power supply to a USB-C cable. I switched the power supply to an actual USB-C output and it finally powered on and worked properly even without the battery installed.

I’m thinking this issue is mostly caused by insufficient power supplies.

Thanks for that info. Interesting since my 3rd party adapters were working great for 3 months and the batteries we always at 100%. Since the stick up cams have a barrel connector, there isn’t a 3rd party cable that has USB-C end and an adapter that would work with it currently. It’s disappointing that Ring changed their software and left many customers with this issue.

Replying as I have same issue. Ring seem to be very blasé about this issue. These are not cheap £20 cameras you can find on Amazon, so Ring pull your finger out and resolve this issue!!!

1 Like

I have called ring support several times now about this issue. They have had me send pictures, and screenshots of camera, app and everything else. I have been told 3 times my problem has been escalated to the investigation team and I would hear back from someone. Everytime I wait 2 weeks and hear nothing. This problem is not going away or being fixed in my opinion. Ring should replace these products. Terrible customer service on this RING!

1 Like

Hi all,
I have an update about my situation for other users out there.

I was using an old usb A to usb c charger to power it and despite always being at 100% battery, i was getting the battery/wired issue as everyone else here with spotlight cam pro.

I decided to try pure usb c with a HeyMix 20 watt usb c power outlet and i connected a short usb c to usb c 100 watt rated cable to my official ring usb c extension cable that connects to the spot light cam pro and the issue immediately went away after 4 months.

Wish i tried it earlier!

Hopefully helps someone.

1 Like

Hi, has anyone received an update on if this is fixed or how to fix it? It’s happened to my spotlight camera during the night… very frustrating!

I am having the exact same problem as all of you. I swapped out power box with same result

Same issue with ours. Just bought it in the last several months, worked flawlessly for quite a while then last month about just started acting like it was on battery power. App settings say it’s on power, but behaves like it’s on a rundown battery in terms of features that is disabled. If we go to the website interface the camera can be live streamed no problem, it’s just the phone app that seems confused.

Ring, we’re set to bail to another solution. This was the most recent and most expensive home security item we invested in to date, and I am severely disappointed in my choice now. I am not at all confident in Ring’s ability to deliver a proper security solution with core functionality uptime as a priority. You’re blasting us with messages daily reminding us how your camera system doesn’t work, consider that as you drag your feet. It’s been months that people have reported this, you need to step up and communicate more often if you are truly still struggling with this.

1 Like

Their lack of a fix after all this time is extremely disappointing.

I have exactly the same problem with solar powered Ring Spotlight Cam Pro.

1 Like

I have the same issue. My camera is on property where there is no phone service, so I can’t even call the Ring technical support line. This is a huge waste of time and money. I will throw my ring away and buy a Nest if this isn’t resolved. Already telling everyone I know to stay away from Ring products.

My 2 month old ring spotlight pro using the hardwired kit just started having this issue as of last night at 1 am. Got an error that it switched to battery mode, but the general settings in the app show its in wired mode. The cam acts as though it’s in battery mode.

Ring team - what’s the status on the fix?

1 Like

What’s the status of the fix?

I bought a Spotlight Cam Pro with a battery. I wired it in a way that it’s charging whenever the outdoor light is on (during the night). When charging I don’t want battery mode. Unfortunately just like the others posted, the camera shows Battery Mode despite being charged.

Why not allow your users to override the power efficiency settings? It seems the software is treating the users as clueless newbies. Fix the bug or let your users customize the settings if they know the consequences of higher battery usage.

Very annoying. I regret I bought into the Ring ecosystem. Stay away.

1 Like

I’m having the same issue as everyone else with the 2 new outdoor camera pros with batteries I just bought to replace some older generation cameras. I talked to support on the phone which wasn’t any help. They kept telling me that it is actually operating in wired mode, but will switch to battery mode if power is disconnected. I believe that would be the correct behavior, but that isn’t the case here. It shows wired in general settings with the battery mode warning when trying to adjust any settings affected by it.

Please let me know when there is a resolution to the issue. I’ve had my other older outdoor cams up for a while without this type of behavior.

1 Like

At this point, I don’t anticipate they will be fixing this issue. Because I feel in their eyes they see it as a way to sell their power adapters. In the beginning, their posts seemed to indicate a fix was coming but in recent months there has been radio silence.