Spotlight cam.. not always detecting motion and people reliably

Have a new spotlight cam. Setup zone areas on driveway. Sometimes it detects motion and people and other times it doesn’t.

For example today, the FedEx driver truck detected motion (outside my zone btw) and the driver walked across my driveway in middle of a zone. No person trigger.

Later I moved 3 large trashcan across same camera view, no motion even triggered. Yet a person walking their dog on other side of street not in my zone triggers motion.

What gives? I have checked settings multiple times. I am a veteran ring doorbell user so the software is pretty familiar to me. But this new cam isn’t working quite right…

Ideas? I must be missing something. Its mounted at about 8ft up. And my driveway isn’t terribly large. I created 3 zones and drew lines around my car, and left and right of car to frame my driveway and front yard. Can post pictures if it helps.

Hi @mbonadio. Which model of Spotlight Cam do you have? Also, would you mind sharing screenshots of the Motion Zones you have set in the Ring App? I’d be happy to take a look and see what suggestions I can make that may help improve the motion detection. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply. Its a Ring Spotlight Cam Battery HD Security Camera with Built Two-Way Talk and a Siren Alarm, White, Works with Alexa. Bought it on October 13th
Photo of my zone setup attached.

@mbonadio Thanks for sharing that information and that screenshot! For your Motion Zones, I would recommend redrawing them so that they do not overlap at all. Additionally, try to adjust the zones so that it is not covering part of the wall, as that may throw off the motion detection too. If this concern persists after making these adjustments, please reach out to our support team directly at one of the numbers available here. They can take a closer look at your device and account in order to find a solution for you. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile: