Spotlight Cam Battery Security Screw

Does anyone know what the security screw that goes into the back of the camera (center) after the mounting plate slides in looks like?

I ordered a refurbished unit directly from Ring few weeks ago and it was missing that screw. Since then Ring support sent the supposed replacement twice now but it’s the same long screw each time. I don’t think it’s the right thing because it doesn’t fit and is over an inch long. See attached picture.

Hi @JetRocket11. Are you referencing the second part in the manual where it asks you to remove the security screw when it’s describing “How to Remove the Mounting Plate”? This security screw is going to be our Torx 6 screws, which we do not send out anymore as they are no longer made. Although, the Torx 15 screw is what we send out as a replacement instead in the event that the neighbor needs this screw, so it seems our Support team may have missed this or overlooked it! If you can, please reach out to our support team here and make sure you request the Torx 15 screw as a replacement specifically. :slight_smile:

Hi

I’ve been waiting for over 8 weeks for a replacement set of screws for my Spotlight Cam (Battery operated). I am referencing the little one that keeps the camera tight and in position on the Mount (snap shot from guide below)…they were missing from the one i ordered from Amazon.

Step Seven - Mount the Spotlight Cam

After installing your bracket, remove the security screw and push the ball on the back of Spotlight Cam into the socket until it pops into place. Position the camera with the motion detector parallel to the ground.

mceclip6.png

Step Eight - Position the camera

Using the live feed on your phone, position Spotlight Cam to your desired view. Once you are happy, tighten the security screw on the right side to fix the Spotlight Cam into position.

Do we have any idea what they are called so i can try and source them from somewhere else ?

thanks a million if anyone can offer any advice

Thanks
Dave

Yes. That one is different than the screw that locks in the mounting plate. You are needing the little bolt for the collar. Have you looked on Ring? They have a tab where you can order small things like this for a dollar or two.

Hey - thanks for the reply. I am in the UK, and it seems the ONLY stuff that dont have for sale are spare parts for the Spotlight cam (battery) unit…

ive tried looking everywhere, but just cant seem to find whats needed… was wondering if someone knew what they were called and ill see if i can order from a hardware shop…

Hi! Here you go… For a mere $1.99 USD you can get that screw and more! If you wanted to, you could take the mounting plate to your local hardware store and try to find a small machine screw that would match the thread properly. At least here in the USA, at Ace Hardware, they have a display where you can determine the thread size and then you go to a bin and pick out the proper length you like. But I would go for the whole kit for $1.99 and “push the easy button” as we say here!

3 Likes

The question is why it’s not included in the first place.
Yes that part kit is $1.99 but shipping is another $3.99

I thought that it was just a mistake that the screw was missing a year ago but few days ago I ordered another spotlight cam battery refurbished directly from Ring and same issue - that security screw is not there…

It’s a T15 security screw…

It probably was an oversight it was not included since the unit was refurbished and perhaps left out of the box, and then not noticed by Ring. I guess you will just have to call them again or buy one. Have you tried Ace Hardware?

I thought it was an oversight the first time…
However as mentioned the same thing happened with a refurbished unit I just got.

It’s becoming a pattern. I bet if I ordered another spotlight cam battery it will also be missing the security screw.

I know what screw it is and can get it but Ring needs to look into this on their end and do some quality control since they may have a bunch of products/boxes with this missing screw