Spotlight Cam Battery not charging with solar panel

This is firmware. They changed firmware on the cameras and doorbells and none of the battery products will charge now in cold weather. Looks like the cutoff is somewhere under 40 degrees but they have not published this anywhere. Some have suggested this is due to safety and that their batteries have potential to catch fire when charged at freezing temperatures. Sadly they did not provide this warning anywhere, something like (will not charge in temperatures below 40F).

Add me to the list as well. What I’m observing is that the Solar Panel only powers the camera during the day–it does not charge the battery. I am seeing 100% in the app every day during the day when it’s sunny. As soon as the sun goes down, the battery goes back to the level it was at the night before. After I fully charged the battery, it drops about 1% each night. After 10 nights, I’m down to 90% right now, but it will be 100% during the day tomorrow. But then 89% tomorrow night.

I’ve called Ring support and they are no help. The rep said that the Solar Panel does not charge batteries. The box says it’s supposed to charge it, so why is Ring saying that it doesn’t? And from this thread, it appears that it used to be working. Probably the newest firmware is what’s causing it not to work.

Ring – please fix this issue. There are over 500 posts in here on this issue.

Just a couple of thoughts on this… I don’t have solar panels for my Spotlight Cams, but I do have a Solar Floodlight which uses the same battery packs, and it seems the charging cutoff is somewhere around 25-30 degrees in my experience. We’ve had a very cloudy winter so far, with some temps around 0, and so far I’ve had to take it down twice since installing it in October to recharge the packs.

I’ve notice in a few of the comments that some of the devices have been installed for two years with no issues, and are just seeing issues now. It’s possible that the battery packs have aged to the point where the internal resistance is high enough to make it difficult for the relatively low current from the solar panel to overcome that resistance and keep the battery charged. Cold temps slow the chemical reaction in the battery even further, so this makes an aged battery even more difficult to charge at a low charge rate.

Unfortunately li-ion batteries aren’t as robust as NiCD and NiMH, and being exposed to cold temps in the winter and hot temps in the summer can cause their lifespan to suffer.

If they are aware of the firmware problem why arent they fixing it?

That’s a very good question, they have literally ignored this problem hoping people will just tire and stop talking about it somehow, after spending hundreds on their faulty products.

Experiencing the same issues as everyone else is talking about. 2 cameras attached to solar panels that worked fine until November. Now have to charge them every 3 weeks with two batteries in each camera. This needs fixed!!!