Spotlight Battery Cam has died

I have owned my Spotlight Battery Cam for 18 months. It will not power up now.

I received an alert last week the battery was low. I forgot about the message. Three days later I replaced the battery with a second recharged battery. After closing the cover the bottom light did not power up/flash. When the cover is open and battery inserted, the internal LED is red. I tried the reset button on top without success. The original low battery was recharged and tried without success also. I’ve tried both left and right battery positions.

The Ring customer service rep I spoke with tells me the only solution is to buy a new camera. I only have the basic subscription, so there is no extended warranty beyond the 1st year to replace it.

Any thoughts? Has anyone else had this issue?

3 Likes

Mine died after 18month as well. I was told I need to buy a new one.

Seems a bit strange.

1 Like

I am having the same issue. Recharged the battery like always but now I get no flashing light. I too have the red light in the inside. I will not buy another Ring camera if it turns out it is defective. Very dissappointed.

2 Likes

I have the same issue and I have tried everythiing to try and resolve it. I have extended cover but I have deleted the camera off my account to try and fix it. Still nothing!

Did anyone find a fix for this?

1 Like

It looks like we might be another to add to this list.

This is terrible if this is the case these cams are not cheap even without subscriptions.

I will be giving them a ring and hoping for some help or Ill be looking elsewhere, I do hope they can help

1 Like

I’ve just had the same thing happen to me. Did they say why this happened?!

Odd. Mine did exactly the same thing at 18 months. I have the extended plan, but haven’t found much info on what that means for the warranty. I had two batteries installed, got the email, and checked and both batteries were dead (which never happened before). Recharged both and I see the red lights come on, but no response from the camera.

My spotlight cam has stopped working. Its 21 months old, looks like this is a common problem. Anyone have any luck getting yours going again?

Neighbors, your collective feedback has been delivered to our team, and they are investigating this matter as we speak. We appreciate you sharing your detailed experiences, and can assure you that your Cameras should be operating as intended.

At this time, if your Spotlight Camera will not reconnect or complete a setup, please attempt the following:

• Ensure both of your batteries are fully charged (if you have two), or has been charging for several hours.
  • Ensure there is no debris in the battery hatch and that the hatch is closed.
  • Press the setup button on the Cam and complete the setup in the Ring app.
  • If lights flash and setup is not completing in the app, please remove and reinstall the Ring app on your mobile device, disable VPN, and have your wifi router close to your Camera.
  • If lights do not indicate setup mode on the Spotlight Cam, or setup is not completing, perform a reset on the Camera by holding the setup button for 20 seconds.

If the above steps do not result in successful setup or operation, please reach out to our support team by phone for more in-depth assistance.

My battery spotlight camera Has also lost power and disconnected itself from the internet, I’ve recharged the battery until a green light was displayed and put back inside correctly and sealed the hatch correctly too. When the battery clicks into place a solid red light stays on. But the camera won’t turn on, I’ve tried holding the reset button on top for 20 seconds and leaving again but the light on the bottom isn’t coming on. The camera is no more than 6 months old and the batteries are the same. All 3 batteries I own are Ring branded. This has happened to 2 of my cameras, which are both battery spotlight cams. Not sure how to fix them and urgently need them working.

Same here , Ring spotlight camera 18 months old approximately. Changed battery now wont connect or reset .Only light on is the red one inside the cover by the battery.Tried other batteries .But no joy .Definetly wont be buying anymore …

Annnndd…the death count continues to rise. I put my 10 month old camera to rest this morning, after trying ALL the steps outlined. This is absolutely deplorable. I have cancelled my account as of this morning. Quite disappointed in this product, and the fact that reaching support is rather difficult. I suppose it will make a nice paperweight.

I have a Spotlight Camera Battery that is less than a year old. The battery went low a couple of days ago. I charged a spare battery and put that in, but the camera won’t start up. The red LED is showing inside but the light on the bottom doesn’t light. I’ve tried pressing the button on top briefly, for 20 and 30 seconds, tried to use the Ring App to set it up from new but nothing works.

is there anything else I should try, or do I need to ring Ring - I cant use the US 1-800 number as I’m in the UK, does the UK number go to Ring or elsewhere?

1 Like

Following, mine has done the same

Add me to the list. Same problem, after about a year and a half of working just fine ,the batterys needed a recharge and when replaced went dead and could not be reset. There is a red light for both battery compartments but won’t reset or connect to the wifi. Certainly sounds like a product defect.

Since several customers are all having a similar problem shouldn’t customer support request return of these cameras so they can determine what went wrong?

When I install 100% charged battery the light on bottom of camera does not blink. Nothing happens and the device health menue still shows only a 3% charge, which it did when there was no battery installed at all.

I spoke toRing Customer Servces this morning and as it’s less than a year old they are going to replace it

1 Like

Ditto all of the above - but I have 2 cameras that died at the same time. Written response from Ring Team above is ridiculous. Hello? We’ve all tried that already!

1 Like

Following, I have 3 spotlight cameras not working right now. Same issue as everyone else.

My 6 month old spotlight camera (battery only) appears to be dead. I replaced dead batteries with fully charged ones, but the camera does nothing. The lights inside the battery housing show that the fully charged battteries are dead (steady red light).

Is there a solution? Or do I need to replace the unit? Pretty sad performance, honestly.