Snapshot timeline confusion

Hi all,
I have questions about the snapshot timeline.

So I have it set for snapshots every hour. When I look at the timeline via dashboard and clicking on the photo, it is always missing the last hour snapshot until the next one is taken. For instance, it will have one for 3:00 AM, every hour to say 8:00 AM. When I check at say 9:30 AM, it is missing the 9:00 AM one UNTIL the one at 10:00 am is apparently taken and then it will show the 9:00 am one, but now, not the 10:00 am even after 10:00 AM. Why is there a lag in showing the last snapshot which I know was already captured as Iā€™m checking well past an hour after it has occurred?

Also, the time display on the snapshot picture on dashboard is very confusing. When you open dashboard to show the picture it apparently last captured, it may say something like 23 minute ago. After you check the timeline and go back to dashboard, it will now say 2 seconds ago but it has not been the point in time for it to capture another snapshot so what, for example, does 2 seconds ago mean?? Does it mean the time after which you went and looked at the timeline and has nothing to do with time of photo that is actually displayed there?? Very confused on this as well.

This issue seems similar to that reported here,

but I asked additional questions about the time delay for images in the actual timeline. Can Ring get some answers?

Hi @trail-explorer. A few things I can address here. When you open the Ring app and you see it say ā€œ23 minutes agoā€, this is not a Snapshot. This is a Camera Preview tile that updates at regular intervals while the Ring app is open. The update interval is different for battery-powered devices vs. powered devices. This is designed to give you a preview of what your cameras are seeing when you open the Ring app and is not recorded in your Event History Timeline.

The Snapshot Capture feature is designed to ā€œfill in the gapsā€ between recordings. This Snapshot is a recorded event and can be viewed on your Event History Timeline. This Snapshot is separate from your Camera Preview Tile. I hope this information helps clear things up for you. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you. So is the image displayed on dashboard an actual camera image obtained the amount of time ago actually displayed, but because it is not stored, it is not an actual snapshot stored on the timeline?

Also, can you comment about the huge delay in snapshots appearing in the timeline. Here is what I asked aboveā€¦
So I have it set for snapshots every hour. When I look at the timeline via dashboard and clicking on the photo, it is always missing the last hour snapshot until the next one is taken. For instance, it will have one for 3:00 AM, every hour to say 8:00 AM. When I check at say 9:30 AM, it is missing the 9:00 AM one UNTIL the one at 10:00 am is apparently taken and then it will show the 9:00 am one, but now, not the 10:00 am even after 10:00 AM. Why is there a lag in showing the last snapshot which I know was already captured as Iā€™m checking well past an hour after it has occurred?

Hi @trail-explorer

This is correct. This is a preview and not an actual ā€œSnapshot Captureā€ image.

For this, I would suggest reaching out to our support team. This doesnā€™t sound like expected behavior and it would be best to have our team look at your account specifics to diagnose what is going on. Your Snapshots should update at the interval you have selected. I would ensure that your Ring app is up to date and that your Cameras firmware is also up to date.

Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. Weā€™re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Hi Tom, upon your advice, I talked at length with a Ring representative today. After extensive hold time and checking ā€œresourcesā€ he said they had no reports of this issue nor any solutions other than ā€œkeep watching itā€ and report back. Obviously not an ideal solution, or even a solution.

Can other users with the spotlight battery cam set their snapshot for 1 hour increments (say overnight) and report back if they see the same lag in the timeline updating with the last snapshot??

Tom and Marley: May I have some help on this? After posting the last message about the experience with Ring phone support, I got the message below in an email. I had asked the representative to please email me with any finding on a solution to this. As you will see, the response had nothing to do with my report of the lag in snapshot timeline updating! So after over half hour on the phoneā€¦ still no resolution.

If another user here could please check the snapshot timeline on their spotlight battery cam and report back, that might be helpful too.

Thanks for reaching out. Although weā€™d like to embrace every idea shared with us, we regrettably are unable to do so! Weā€™re happy to share more information about our policies regarding unsolicited business proposals.

Ring does not accept creative ideas, proposals, concepts, suggestions or materials (whether of a technical, business, financial or other nature) other than those that we specifically request.

For more information about Ringā€™s policies regarding unsolicited business proposals, please visit this link.

Thank you for contacting Ring!

Hi @trail-explorer. What version of the Ring app are you using? If you try to view this on a different phone or tablet, do you get the same results. I would also suggest rebooting your internet router to see if that helps.

As for the email, it is possible that the agent helping you selected the wrong email template and sent the one you received by mistake. If the above suggestions donā€™t seem to resolve this for you, I would follow up with support on you open support ticket, as this may have to be escalated to another team to take dive deeper into this for you.

@trail-explorer I just did some testing with my battery Spotlight Cams that have the snapshot interval set to one hour, and Iā€™m experiencing the same thing. I guess I never noticed it previously.

Thanks pdeethardt! It is good to know Iā€™m not the only one.

So I guess this gets bounced back to RIng. Marley, Tom, can you report this issue? If I call technical support, they wonā€™t have any indication this is just more than an isolated event but I think if one of you opens a case, something might get done. Right? Thanks!

PS how does one accomplish the ā€œ@usernameā€ thing in a reply? I replied directly to pdeethardt but it doesnā€™t show that alert in the beginning of the post - unless that user is the only one that can see that.

Hi @trail-explorer. I can submit this information to the appropriate team, I just need the following information: Ring app version, Phone type and OS version. I would also reset your Camera and reconnect it to wifi to ensure that it is also running on the latest firmware. You can reset it by pressing and holding the setup button for 20 seconds., then release. Once that is complete, you can reconnect it to wifi. Thank you.

You can also mention any user in a comment by typing ā€œ@ā€ and the users name.

@Tom_Ring Thanks! I appreciate you submitting this and I really think it will get more attention this way rather than a single user calling in to report it.

Here is the information you requested:
iphone12
software 14.4.2
I donā€™t know the Ring app version - where do I find that?
Ring firmare in Health indicates up to date
I have reset the camera connection etc. just the other day with no change

If it helps Iā€™m using an iPhone X running iOS 14.5 (just updated yesterday; was 14.4.2 previously), and app version 5.38.1.

@trail-explorer If you open the Ring app, then tap on the menu in the upper-left, the app version is at the bottom of that menu.

@pdeethardt Thanks! I will update IOS as well, as was at 14.4.2.

Thanks for the info on how to find Ring app version. I see it now, in like font size 1, so no wonder I missed it! MIne also displays 5.38.1

Does the app version update on its own? Iā€™ve read suggestions by moderators here to reset the cameras via the buttons to update and certainly hope the app updates on its own without having to do this.

Also, how do you know if you have the latest version?

1 Like

The app will automatically update if you have automatic downloads of app updates toggled on in iOS, which I believe is the default setting. You can double-check by going into Settings, then App Store. The setting for automatic downloads of app updates is at the top. You can verify you have the latest version by going into the App Store and searching for the Ring app. Thereā€™s a button next to the app thatā€™ll either say open if you have the latest version or update if you do not. As long as you have the automatic downloads setting enabled your phone should check for and install the latest version of your apps each day when the phone is charging and connected to WiFi.

1 Like

@pdeethardt thanks for this! Iā€™m new to iphones so didnā€™t know about checking for app updates. Indeed, the Ring app needed to be updated.

Are you still have the snapshot ā€œdelayā€ issue you verified? I tried it out over the past two nights - one night, the snapshots were all up to date when I checked, but the second night not. However, in the process I discovered a new issue that seems related to 5.39.0 - namely when I go to turn off snapshot acquisition and go back to timeline, they are all deleted!! And, Iā€™m careful to NOT press on ā€˜deleteā€™.
https://community.ring.com/t/snapshots-being-deleted-after-switching-to-snapshot-off-just-started/54247

Hi @trail-explorer. I wanted to chime in here to clarify some information regarding the Snapshot Capture feature. When you disable the feature, you will lose any previous snapshots that were taken. This information is also outlined in our Help Center Article on the Snapshot Capture feature here. I hope that helps clear things up a bit, and we appreciate the feedback and information shared in this thread so far as well. :slight_smile:

@Caitlyn_Ring Hi. According to that article and my experience, snapshots are retained in the timeline for 7 days. In my experience, it does not matter if it is turned on and off (but I do see in your article it seems to imply they are deleted when turned off) . I have been using the camera for months now. I can turn on and off the snapshot acquisition and the previous snapshots are definitely retained and donā€™t immediately disappear like they started doing the past two days. You see, I only have snapshots on at night and turn off during the day.

After almost an hour on the phone with Ring, and insisting they explore this with their support folks, they have said their support folks tried it while I was on the line and determined this is a bug with 5.39.0.

If you could verify this, that would be great.

Iā€™m still seeing the delay on my battery Spotlight Cams.

@pdeethardt Thanks for checking.

@Caitlyn_Ring Hi Caitlyn. Can you check into snapshot delay in displaying last obtained snapshot, and also the new snapshot on/off experience I related?