Snapshot feature not showing on timeline

Snapshot feature has been setup on doorbell and camera but is no longer working and showing snapshots on the timeline

4 Likes

Been noticing the same issue the last week or two…it might record one or two intervals and then there’s a huge 3-12 hour gap of no snapshots before the next one shows up.

3 Likes

Hi @user6895. Do you have an active Ring Protect Plan subscription? This is required for Snapshots to work. You can learn more about Snapshots in this Help Center article here.

1 Like

I have a ring protect basic plan so believe this should still allow the snapshot feature to work?

1 Like

@Tom_Ring I have Professional Monitoring and am having the issue that others are describing. I have two cameras (one wired, one battery) and each camera has Device Settings > Snapshot Capture set to “Every 14 Minutes.”

When I open the Ring app, in the Dashboard, I can see the latest Snapshots in the thumbnail images for each camera (assuming the last “event” was a Snapshot). However, when I click a thumbnail image for either camera, there are no Snapshots anywhere on the Timeline - they’re totally gone! The only events on the Timeline are Live View, Person Detected, Motion Detected, and Linked Events. Why did Snapshots disappear from the Timeline?

I should note that Snapshots do not appear under Event History either. Past Snapshots are not visible anywhere on the app.

So, it seems to be an issue with the app. The cameras are recording the Snapshots (I know this because I can see the thumbnails when I open the app) but they are disappearing from the Timeline. When will this be resolved? I spent awhile on the phone today with Ring Support which did not help.

2 Likes

Hi Neighbors. First, go over the steps in this Help Center article here, just to ensure that there hasn’t been a step that was missed. You can also try disabling Snapshot Capture and then enabling it again. If your device is battery powered, make sure that your battery is fully charged as a low battery could cause the Snapshot Capture to not activate.

1 Like

Hi @Tom_Ring I reviewed the article and can confirm that I performed the steps correctly. I also tried disabling and then re-enabling Snapshot, but the issue still persists. I am having the issue on both battery-powered and wired cameras. This appears to be a bug in the app. Are you able to escalate this?

1 Like

Hi tom, the same applies to me - I’ve reviewed the link and reset the snapshot feature and this still isn’t working. Please can this be resolved asap as it’s a key feature to why I pay for the monthly plan.

Hey Neighbors. Since the information above didn’t seem to help, this might require a more in depth look. I suggest reaching out to our support team so they can review some information about your devices and see where the issue is. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

1 Like

Hi @Tom_Ring I have already reached out to support and they were unable to help. Is there any way you can escalate this?

2 Likes

Hi @user7090. We have passed this feedback onto the appropriate teams based on the information that’s been shared in this thread. For any neighbors whose snapshots are not showing on the Event History Timeline, please try the troubleshooting suggestions below:

• Ensure that you have an active Ring Protect subscription in place, as this is required for the Snapshot Capture feature.
  • Go over the steps in this Help Center article here , just to ensure that there hasn’t been a step that was missed.
  • You can also try disabling Snapshot Capture and then enabling it again.
  • If your device is battery powered, make sure that your battery is fully charged as a low battery could cause the Snapshot Capture to not activate.
  • Check the RSSI on your Device Health page, as an insufficient network quality could cause the Snapshots to not be properly captured and displayed. You can read more on RSSI and wifi here.

If you’re still experiencing this concern after attempting the troubleshooting steps above, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here so they can further assist with this. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

Hello @user6895. Just to say, I’m having the exact same issue with Ring Doorbell 4 + indoor plug-in cam.

Same issue on a Wired Doorbell. Every features work (on a Basic protection plan), but the snapshots. Note that the problem occured after a power shutdown in the neighborhood.
Anyone has this issue resolved yet ?

Same issue on the peephole camera. Set to take snapshots every 14 mins - nothing appears on the timeline at all.

Hasn’t worked for a few months.

Tried resetting, tried re-adding in app, theirs toggling on and off many times, phoned support who are “investigating” still.

Strong RSSI, supposedly latest firmware, full ring protect plan.

Snapshot capture is just broken!

It sucks!

Hi all, has anyone had a resolution to this issue? I am affected too, not sure since when? I cant scrub left to view snapshots or other history, basically I have no timeline. I can view events in the history tab, but no snapshots.

I’m having this issue now too. Although I’m sure that it did show up on the timeline initially, I recall deleting all of the snapshots from my timeline and now none. Show up. Spent over an hour on the phone with tech support. I did all of the troubleshooting steps to fix this. She forwarded me this link https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034443672. She said that despite the document stating that previous snapshots can be viewed, only the current snapshot is kept. I’m no longer inclined to believe her. I’d like to get this function back.

Checked today and my time line has returned!! In the live view I now see the pop up asking if I want to see old events. Time line is now shown and working as expected. Not sure what the issue was but it’s all ok now!!

Opened a ticket about this on the 22nd of January no feedback from support about this.

Didn’t expect this horrible support for a paid service!

Anyone any ideas no snapshots to be found setup the feature and set it to 3 min. Never seen any snapshot in my event timeline

Just an update - contacted support again, who unfortunately weren’t able to offer any support.

Peephole camera snapshots do not work. Haven’t worked for about a year regardless of setting to 1 hour or 14 mins. No matter the signal strength, resets.

Can a ring moderator please flag this to someone, anyone, internally? Being told to sit tight for a fix for over a year doesn’t inspire confidence the issue is being tracked.

Either that or ring has a massive set of issues on its development backlog!!

@Caitlyn_Ring @Tom_Ring bump? This still doesn’t work and still no real support from support. Sometimes they say it’s a known issue. Other times nothing.

This is a feature that used to work that we paid a subscription for and would like to have :frowning: