Smart Alerts bug

I believe there’s a bug or at least an improvement that should be made to the Smart Alerts.

The problem is that it will not detect a person in the motion zone if any “regular motion” is detected first.

For example if a car pulls into the driveway (regular motion alert / recording starts). And then the driver gets out of the car and wanders around inside the motion zone, no “Person” will be detected and you will never get an alert that there’s a person in your driveway.

I have Smart Alerts enabled, regular motion set to record but to not send alerts, and “Person” set to record and send alerts. I never receive a person alert (therefore I receive no alerts) if any regular motion triggers a recording first.

Anyone else experience this issue?

-Tavis

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve experienced the same issue. It won’t detect a person until the recording for the regular motion stops and then motion triggers a new recording with a person in the area. For this reason I only have people only enabled on my Floodlight Cam.

Also having a similar issue. If I let my dogs out in the yard and I follow them out after, I don’t get alerted for a person in my yard. But if I walk out myself first, I get alerted. I’m hoping they could get this improvement done.

You can sort of work around the issue by shortening your recording time, but then you’ll receive more motion alerts. Once the camera stops recording and is still detecting motion, it will re-determine whether or not the motion is a person when recording is triggered again.

I just purchased a Ring Flood (latest model), and I too have this same problem. It is annoying! In addition to that, I have discovered the following:

• My son goes out of the garage (back facing the camera), walks down my driveway to get the garbage can, and it only reports motion; on his walk back, it then senses a person and alerts me.

• A delivery vehicle drives into my driveway, and my camera records motion; the driver exits the vehicle, is clearly a person, and I get no “person” alert.

I was hoping people recognition worked better because I have a lot of squirls that trigger motion. I don’t want that alerting me all damn day, so I set up the camera to record motion, but not alert on motion. I only wanted to be alerted when a person or vehicle are caught on camera.

I guess Ring doesn’t do this well. :frowning:

I think it would be helpful if Ring had a third option: Alert on Vehicle Movement.
That would be rather simple for Ring - just alert on large things that move. If you want to refine it, let us draw a line down our driveway so that if the large thing travels in the line of the path, then trigger an alert.

As far as people recognition alerts, I think Ring needs to go back to the drawing board. It is unacceptable as is.

1 Like

Thanks for posting this. I can totally ditto these issues, both with Smart Alert and inconsistent recognition re vehicle/people.

Hey neighbors. With the Smart Alerts feature, it will determine what type of motion is being detected and classify it as such. It will not change which type of motion alert it’s classified as in the middle of that event. Our teams are always working towards improving the experience our devices offer, so please add any feature suggestions or ideas to the Feature Request board. This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. Feel free to link the post you make in the Feature Request board here so other neighbors that come to this thread can easily find your feature as well.