Slow or no response when motion is detected

Before someone says check your wifi, I have 300mbs down and 12mbs up AT THE DOORBELL. The notifications are often very slow. Sometimes I can be a mile down the road after leaving the house before I get the notification. When I get a delivery, the driver is in his truck and gone before I am alerted. I think Ring is a victim of their own success. The system is overloaded. They need to spend some money on upgrades.
While I’m here, that extra authentication step every time I login is a nuisance. Not even banks and credit card companies need to do that every 30 days.

1 Like

Hi @user38805. While a fast download/upload speed is great, the real important number is the RSSI. This is located in the Ring apps Device Health menu. There can also be a bit of a lag when leaving your home if your cell phone is connected to the WiFi. This is because the WiFi signal on your phone will grow weaker as you drive away from your house until it finally turns WiFi off and switches to cellular data. What is the RSSI for your device?

Omg i feel your pain i thought it was just me my ring 2nd generstion is exactly the same i have a wi fi extender and the fastest wifi sky supply its a nightmare this is my second purchase i was foolishly convinced to but the new version when mine went out of warranty [quote=“user38805, post:1, topic:189446, full:true”]
Before someone says check your wifi, I have 300mbs down and 12mbs up AT THE DOORBELL. The notifications are often very slow. Sometimes I can be a mile down the road after leaving the house before I get the notification. When I get a delivery, the driver is in his truck and gone before I am alerted. I think Ring is a victim of their own success. The system is overloaded. They need to spend some money on upgrades.
While I’m here, that extra authentication step every time I login is a nuisance. Not even banks and credit card companies need to do that every 30 days.
[/quote]

RSSI is 53. I knew the response would be about my connection instead of your system. The issue isn’t just when I’m leaving. Read my post again. The slow response is for any alert. When I am leaving, it should alert before I even get to the detached garage. And just to post a response, I have to go through another authentication code hoop. What are you people afraid of?

1 Like

Hi @user38805. Thanks for your response. I ask about the RSSI because this is the most common fix to almost all solutions. To completely rule our network concerns, try connecting your device to a WiFi hotspot and testing its Motion Detection. You can also try adjusting your Motion Settings. This community post here has some great tips for this. After you’ve adjusted your Motion Settings, you can perform the test again until you’ve found what works best for you.

If you’re still having issues, you can post a screenshot of your doorbells view and the community can offer suggestions on how to optimize your doorbells motion detection. You can also reach out to our support team at one of the numbers available here, or on Facebook @Ring, for additional troubleshooting assistance.

I have already tried all of that. As I expected, this is going to be anything EXCEPT a Ring issue. All of this has to go through your network instead of just being local. I guess my best option is to look into a different system.

3 Likes

I also share your pain. I am a certified network engineer and my home Wi-Fi is excellent. The notification delays I experience are not just on mobile devices but also between the Ring Doorbell and its associated Ring Chime, which are both on the same internal LAN. I also note that Ring do not ever suggest their own internal latency could be a cause of delay.
My conclusion is that if my Wi-Fi and fast internet connection have not changed over the last 2 years and the latency has increased as Ring doorbells have become more prolific, that the only other potential causes are congestion in the Ring cloud or Ring software which has been evolving to provide more features to newer Ring products. Perhaps Ring, you could tell us what improvements you have made to your infrastructure to manage the increased demand. Please address the elephant in the room.

1 Like

I don’t understand this at all

I completely concur to your sentiments. I also am a network engineer and make my 20% of my living troubleshooting WiFi congestion. My problem is NOT on “my side of the fence”.
I hate companies that point the finger back at the customer and do nothing to troubleshoot their own infrastructure.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.