Siren sounds automatically

In Ring Stick Up Cam Battery: why can’t i set the siren to sound automatically with motion detection? :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Hi @Vincenzo. The siren on the Security Cameras doesn’t automatically go off when motion is detected as that’s not how it’s designed to function. You can manually activate the siren as a deterrent if needed. Do you have a Ring Alarm system set up with the Stick Up Cam, or do you only have the Stick Up Cam? If you have a Ring Alarm system, you can use the Linked Devices feature to set it up so that the siren on your Stick Up Cam will trigger if the alarm itself is triggered. You can read more about that feature update in our Community Post on it here. I hope that helps clear things up. :slight_smile:

no I only have the cam. But what is the use of having the siren if it is not possible to activate automatically with the detection of a movement? can i buy the external siren and connect it to the cam or where to buy a complete ring alarm system?

4 Likes

@Caitlyn_Ring I think @Vincenzo raises an excellent point, and this is a fantastic idea. Can we put in a feature request for the Ring Spotlight Camera to have motion activated siren? It already has motion activated spotlight, so this only makes sense.

6 Likes

Yes, of course at this moment, it could become an excellent detail, against malicious people, a function could be extended with activation of the siren through a continuous movement, such as when someone stands and activates the movement of the camera for more than 15/30 seconds, the siren.

3 Likes

@Vincenzo @TheHighclere Thanks for sharing your feedback here on the Community! I definitely understand where you’re coming from with wanting a feature like this, and for this reason we have the Feature Request board. Feel free to add this and any future feature requests there. This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. Feel free to link that post you make in the Feature Request board here so other neighbors that come to this thread can easily find your feature! :slight_smile:

https://community.ring.com/t/siren-sounds-automatically/74113

2 Likes

I don’t see this feature in the app yet and it needs to be there!! I had motion detection on two cameras last night from an individual entering my yard who was being chased by local police. These videos don’t do anyone any good hours after the fact. Had the siren sounded with the motion detection the police would have known he was in my yard. As it is, he got away because he was able to hide when the squad drove by. If the sirens had been sounding he couldn’t have hidden as easily. Nothing like waking up to review motion detection from 4am and nothing can be done about it. :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

Hi neighbors! You cannot have the siren on your Cameras sound automatically when motion is detected. If you have a Ring Alarm system, you can use the Linked Devices feature to link your Cameras to your Ring Alarm so that the sirens will be triggered when the alarm is triggered.

Feel free to also add your feedback and vote to the feature request about having the siren on your Camera sound automatically with motion detection. We utilize the Feature Request board to gather and share your feedback with our teams here. :slight_smile:

It makes sense to be able to set the siren to go off at night when triggered, once everybody is home. Last night my sons car was broken into on our driveway, the ring camera was nice enough to light the area up for them but didn’t deter them. Had a siren gone off 1) they would have run and 2) we would have been alerted to something happening!

I have my phone on the “sleep” setting so didn’t get the alert, just got to watch the video of it happening this morning. Maybe this is something that can be updated!

2 Likes

Hi @Kcarvajal. Did you have Motion Warning turned on? This feature lets people know that they are being recorded and is a great deterrent. You can learn more about this feature here.

1 Like

Need to bump this topic again. I too had a car theft in my driveway WITH the camera warning notifications turned on. The theft was at 230am and I recorded the event but the criminal simply ignored the warning. I want the alarm to go off automatically and wake us up and the neighborhood in this case. We need to have this feature activated so we can schedule the alarm automatically by start/end time.

The notifications to the phone will not wake me up. I want the alarm to go off. How can we make this happen?

3 Likes

Hi @FoCo_Family_Guy. I’m sorry to hear about what happened. However, this is not a feature at this time. If the siren were to go off every time motion was detected, it would cause a large amount of ‘false alarms’ essentially, as the siren would go off every time someone walks by the Camera and triggers the motion detection. You’re welcome to add your feedback to the feature request listed in the marked solution.

1 Like

Yes but don’t you think that’s our choice to make? Why are you deciding how we secure our boundries?

1 Like

It’s quite ridiculous for Ring to decide how their customers use their products, considering all of the variables around each customer’s individual situation, and local laws in different countries in which Ring products are sold.

Some of the comments in this thread are so narrow minded, stating that a siren can’t be triggered by motion because it would be going off all the time.

That would certainly not be the case in my situation, where I use a Ring cam with a siren which sits on a shelf in my locked garage.

In this instance, I would want to set a schedule for this particular camera where the siren is “armed” between the hours of midnight to 6am. If any movement were to be detected in the garage within that period, it would most likely be because someone has broken in to the garage and is stealing my bikes.

Playing them a message to let them know that they are being recorded is only going to encourage them to pull the power lead out the back of the camera, so ’Motion Warning’ feature is absolutely useless, and would actually assist the criminal to avoid further detection.

As it stands, I’ll wake up the next morning to watch some recorded footage of my bikes leaving my garage instead. In this instance, the product would have completely failed to fulfil its purpose, which is to provide security to my property and home, when it could have acted as a very useful deterrent and prevented crime.

So, in a nutshell, everyone’s situation is different and Ring need to acknowledge that their devices are used differently across their customer base.

If a customer sets their device up so the alarm is constantly going off, the natural process of neighbours complaining to local authorities etc will eventually take its course. That is not something the manufacturer needs to enforce.

It would be like Sonos not allowing their customers to set an alarm on their products at the risk of someone playing Metallica to the neighbourhood on a set of outdoor speakers at 4am. Sure, that might happen, but it would be dealt with appropriately via other channels.

Ring: please stop treating your customers like children, and give us some control and discretion as to how we configure our devices.

5 Likes

Totally Agree! Give us MOTION ACTIVATED SIREN SETTINGS!!! May be time to switch to another cam company…?

3 Likes

Especially with AI ‘person’ detection it is insane this is not an option. Seriously considering returning my Ring system because of this. What’s the point in the Siren if you can’t use it as a deterrent.

Great to watch a garage or shed get broken into the next morning…

Please add this setting as a priority. (Even if it is limited to ring protect plans with person detection enabled)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.