Sensor Light malfunctioning

My Floodlight Cam Pro sensor picks up when a car with its lights on travels down the road passed my house and then turns on the sensor lights continually every night. I have turned all settings to minimal (to the point where it no longer picks up someone on my driveway!!) and yet the vehicle lights still activate the sensor lights. Phone support are HOPELESS and even more so that you can’t even speak with someone local to you!!! I’m hoping someone here can perhaps help me with a solution. I’ve had it a month and so far can’t even use the sensor light module for its purchased purpose. And contacting support hasn’t impressed me due to their lack of ability to actually DO anything. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

@user35882 Can’t remember the exact settings on these but are you able to set it to people only mode and then only have it trigger the lights when it picks up a person?

Hi there. Thank you for your help. I already have it set to people only, and have the light sensitivity on the lowest setting. I also have the area set really close to the camera. People walking up my driveway aren’t picked up, but a car with it’s lights on driving passed my house activates the lights. (it doesn’t even seem to be the physical car - it’s the lights!!) SO FRUSTRATING, and then the support line is of no help in problem solving. I’m in Australia, and don’t know about the rest of the world, but there is no actual way of getting any support for these products… grrrrr.

Hi @user35882. Sorry to hear that you’re having issues with this and trouble contacting support. Feel free to send us a private message on Facebook or Twitter, and one of our agents can assist you. How high is this device mounted, and is the bubble on the bottom parallel to the ground? This can really affect how your camera detects motion.

Hey Tom. The device is installed at around 2.4m up and it is level to the ground. I’ve literally tried every possible position and every setting in the app. Is FB going to give me a better customer experience than the phone calls have? As they are just a waste of my time and a cause of complete frustration. I’m beginning the think the unit is in fact faulty.

Hi @user35882. Thanks for that information. The height is a little low, as the optimal height is at 3m (Found here). This small change can improve your motion detection. Also, yes, there is a different team that handles Facebook concerns. If the unit is faulty, the Facebook team will be able to assist you.

Thanks Tom. To install at 3m the unit would be higher than my roof!!! Underside of roof (eaveline) here in Australia is 2.4-2.7m. HOW would I even install it at 3m?
I’ll contact via FB as well - as I’m not seeing this unit being of any use (if it does work that is!!), and I then have the issue of installation refund/compensation if I have to take it back to the retailer. RING is not a favourable product, or company to deal with at all at this stage - just saying.

Hi @user35882. The lights on your Floodlight Cam are triggered using passive infrared (PIR) detectors to detect motion in a wider field of view than the motion detection for the camera itself. Sources of heat, including lights from vehicle headlights, will trigger the motion detection for the lights. You can adjust the range at which the lights on your Floodlight Cam will trigger under Device Settings > Light Settings > Motion Zones for Lights.

We typically recommend that the Floodlight Cam be mounted at about 9 feet, which is the equivalent of about 2.7 meters. Having the Camera mounted lower or higher than that can negatively impact the motion detection, but I’d still recommend adjusting the settings above. If this concern persists despite adjusting the settings, the next step would be to follow up with our support team, either via phone or by sending us a message on Facebook or Twitter as Tom mentioned.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.