Security Cam Randomly Flash Spotlights

Our security cam is randomly turning the spotlights on (for a second or two) periodically through the night. Even though the lights are off on the settings. Does anyone know why this is?

It shouldn’t be happening as most people want security devices to be discreet.

Hi there, @Naboo! As long as you have the Motion activated lights toggle disabled, via the Device/ Light Settings in the Ring app, the lights should remain off. As a default setting, lights can also turn on when it is dark and motion is detected. This can be fine tuned further via the same light settings mentioned above. As for the duration the lights remain on, this is certainly odd. I recommend also checking the Ring app for any linked devices, if you have multiple Ring devices, that might be triggering these lights. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Thanks Marley,

I’ve doubled check all the light related settings and made sure it’s turned off. I have an indoor camera (different brand) which has been catching the events which show evidence of it happening. Can I send you the video?

1 Like

I also have the same issue… On and off every few mins… I have to keep the light off all night… Please advise…

1 Like

Here you can see it. If you look where the dog is pointing towards you’ll see a glass door. Outside the door is our security cam but you can see the flash of light. This happens very often maybe every hour or so.

1 Like

Thanks for the update on this, @Naboo, and for the video example. Also, thanks to your doggy for being a great pointer! I agree this should not be happening in the fashion shown in this video.

Lights that flicker, or turn on then off rapidly, is not intended functionality and is usually a reaction to losing network connection, or power. As long as your wifi signal strength to this Camera is sufficient, this will confirm that the Camera is not disconnecting and reconnecting during poor signal moments, thus triggering lights in this manner. The same goes for power. Please ensure the power source is not tampered, loose, or obstructed. If these are battery powered Cameras in question, please ensure the battery is charged adequately.

If the variables mentioned above did not match or resolve this concern, this may require a more in-depth look from our support team. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Feel free to also let us know how this goes, in case any information might help other neighbors! :slight_smile:

My wired spotlight cam recently started doing this as well camera works fine but lights are hosed. Reset and reconnected still won’t work and it has not been that cold here recently either.

I have noticed my wired spotlight cam light is turning on randomly at night when there are no events - I have the lights deselected on the device but notice that if I then go back into devices it has been selected again - it’s as if the app is not remembering my preferences - firmware says up to date - any suggestions