Schlage Connect can just use 4 digit codes (Ring Base Alarm limitation!)

After adding the lock to Ring in the usual way, go to the physical keypad on the lock and follow these steps to change the length of your lock’s code (note, this will remove all codes from the lock):

1. Hit the SCHLAGE button to lock the deadbolt
  2. Enter your programming code
  3. Press 8
  4. Enter the number of digits you want your code to be (4 - 8)
  5. Enter it again

Now add a new code to your lock by following the same steps except using option 1 instead of 8. Hit the SCHLAGE button at the end to exit programming mode.

The lock will continue to work with Ring the same way as before except that you can no longer manage user codes for the door lock via the Ring app. If you want to add codes then you will have to do it from the lock itself.

One thing to note, if you’ve enabled the feature to arm the alarm when locking the door WITH the code (not quick lock) then it will continue to work. BUT if you later change your lock’s code then this function will no longer work properly. I found this out the hard way and after ripping my hair out I ended up performing a factory reset on the lock and starting from scratch.

Lastly, I completely agree that this workaround and the 4 digit pin is completely unacceptable, especially for a security system. There are numerous old threads on this topic but it seems clear that Ring isn’t going to do anything about it.

2 Likes