Safety screw rusted and stripped

My ring doorbell has lost connection for some reason and won’t come back online when i push the orange button. It appears to have no power. However, one of the tiny safety screws rusted and stripped so I can’t get the doorbell open to investigate the problem.

Has anyone had this problem particularly with the screw and know how I can get the doorbell open?

Hi @Hnpacker! The best way to remove a stripped screw is by using needle nose pliers. These pliers can grab the small part of the screw while you turn to loosen. If pliers are not available, or do not work, a rubber band placed around the screw can help with leverage and grip to loosen/remove.

Our support team can also assist with further steps, if the above tricks did not work. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. You can also get in touch with our support team on Facebook @Ring.

I have this exact problem on my Ring1. Both screws are rusted solid, the battery will not charge, (hardwired) probably due to three weeks of minus 5-10 degrees celcius. Needle nose pliers can’t get a grip because the screws are too rusty. Using this kind of screw on an outdoor device is bad engineering. They are also too close to the wall to drill them out without damaging the device. Any suggestions?

1 Like

Same problem and our doorframe is made of fiber cement board siding (Hardi board). It’s never coming out, unless we destroy the Ring and ruin the doorframe at the same time. Absolutely terrible design to use tiny, soft metal screws with a head that is intended to be bad for gripping. :pleading_face:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.