Ring video doorbell to use with Friedland D3230 "8V ~1 0A"

I’m wanting to get a Ring video doorbell, but I’m getting completely confused by the specific technical details of the different models & seemingly contradictory installation videos.

I’m in the UK, which I see complicates matters & see some confusion about the required electrics.

I have an existing “ding-dong” hardwired bell, which I see is on the compatible list: Friedland D3230 (photo attached)

8V ~1 0A

Max 15W

220/240V

50 Hz

I’d like for a new Ring doorbell to make the same “ding-dong” from my existing wired chime, as well as do the app alert, & possibly a plug-in Ring wireless chime too (eg. upstairs.)

I see all the ring models except the ‘Elite’ say they can be hard wired.

I’ve seen references to ‘bypass the existing doorbell chime’ & also to bypass the transformer with a Ring-branded one. I see most Ring Models require “8-24 VAC” & my chime appears to be “ 8V ~1 0A ”

Could anyone with the knowledge please help me out & tell me which of the Ring models would be suitable to wire to my Friedland D3230 transformer set up, & keep the ding dong.

Thank you!

Just the wired one will do, that can run on 8V. You’d just use the jumper cable that comes with it to connect 2 wires inside your existing chime. That’s sends the power that would normally drive your chime down the wires to provide power for your Ring Doorbell (currently the bell push is just a switch).

So from the above picture, does it mean place Jump cable between 3 and 1 as shown with red line? In a forum I read someone saying it should be between 3 and what is above 3 (the green line)

Hi @atique. Thanks for sharing that picture! It looks like you only have wires going to the 1 and 3 terminals. If that is the case, then yes, I’d say the Jumper Cable goes there. Basically, you want to “jump” the terminals that have a wire going to the Doorbell and the transformer. I hope this helps!

1 Like

Thanks @Tom_Ring . Appreciate it.

1 Like

Bit confused was it the green line that’s correct or the red one

Hi @Daz1970! Referencing the image above, the red line is the correct visual. Generally speaking, most chime kits will only be connecting your transformer and the button at your front door. When this is the case, the chime kit terminals that have wires connected will likely be the ones used for installation of your Video Doorbell.

Always worth double checking, and we’re glad you asked :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @atique - I have the same D3230, did you manage to get Ring to work?

1 stays where it is. 3 needs to be disconnected, and connected through the bypass cable to the terminal above it.

1 Like

I have the same doorbell and just bought a Ring (2nd gen). Are you saying move the wire at 3 to 1 and then connect a bypass cable between the wires? I have just looked at the ring installation instructions and it just says connect the ring or bell to both existing wires. It has the following - Tip: If wiring directly to a doorbell transformer, connect a 25 ohm, 50W wirewound resistor in series with one of the doorbell wires to protect your Video Doorbell.

I think moving wire 3 to the location above may be directly connecting the existing wires but reading the ring instructions do we need to do this at all? I am confused!!

Did you manage to get your Ring video doorbell wired to your existing doorbell? I have the same doorbell and jus bought a Ring 2nd gen video doorbell but am confused. I would like the existing doorbell to charge the battery on the Ring as well as the ring being able to utilise the existing door bell chime

For the 2nd gen doorbell you should not need to touch anything in the chime. you should have one wire on 3 and the other on 1. You can set in the app if you want to ring the chime or not with the doorbell. The doorbell will light up white if successfully connected.

The bypass cable instructions are only needed for Doorbell Wired, which can’t ring a chime.

1 Like

I am in the same predicament, and have a very similar chime - connecting a Ring Doorbell Wired.

So if in the image above from OP, if I leave the cable on terminal 1, and then remove terminal 3, use the bypass connector to link the other doorbell cable to terminal 0 (above 3 and next to the transformer?) Is that the correct wiring?

If so, what is the purpose of the bypass? Can I not just connect the cable from 3 and move it to the one above??

Its got a little fuse in it - its just there for added protection. electrically not using it will still work just fine.

Hi @user3064 so far i did not get a chance to install it. Also, getting more confused here t be honest.

Anyone who got it working so far who had the same chime? Any photo to show it was done, please? Thanks

Hey! I’ve just set mine up using a D3230 and it looks (and works!) like this: Hope this helps!

I don’t really understand what the ‘bypass’ is doing though…surely it would still just work if the white cable was plugged directly into 0. Either way, it’s working.

1 Like

Hello,

I confirm it works and it seems we don’t need the bypass.

I have the same chime but what is atypical in my case is that there are no visible cables from any of the terminals back to the wall (and the existing doorbell button). There is only one short wire connecting terminals “1” and “3”.

Is it correct to assume that the cable leading to the door bell is connected from the back side? From the existing wiring setup, can one tell what is the change I need to do prior to installing ring Doorbell Wired?

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Dear all
Sorry but i’m french
My video doorbel doesn’t work.
can you help me with how to connect the cables?
Thanks

Hi neighbors. Each Ring Doorbell model may vary on the power specifications and the installation instructions. I encourage you to verify the power specifications for your specific doorbell model by checking the product page on Ring.com, or checking the original packaging. You can also locate installation instructions in our Help Center by searching for your specific doorbell model.

Please also keep in mind that the Video Doorbell Wired will not ring your internal chime kit, while the other hardwired doorbells will ring compatible chime kits. For further assistance, you’re welcome to reach out to our support team.