Ring Video Doorbell Pro Shuts Down After Ring

Hello,

I’ve had my Ring Pro doorbell for a few months now. Normally it works perfectly. It captures motion, works at night, alerts me, allows live view, etc. Everything is fine, until someone rings the doorbell. The doorbell will make the “Ring doorbell” sound, and the physical chime can be heard in the house. But then, the doorbell shuts down. It goes completely dead and cannot be restarted unless I cut the power from the breaker and turn it back on 10-15 seconds later. Then it works again until the next person rings it.

I’ve got a Pro Power Kit installed on the chime. And the device health shows healthy, with 4014.0mV. I suspect I have a bad power kit and need a new one. Does that sound about right?

Thanks!

Hey there, @MShanahan! There are a few things that might factor into power loss after a button push. The Pro Power Kit is certainly a great step to cover. Before getting a spare parts kit from Ring.com, I recommend checking on some other chime kit variables.

Here is our Chime Kit Compatibility List, to ensure the chime kit in use will work with the Doorbell Pro. Please also ensure to have the proper chime type selected in the Ring app. This can be done by visiting your Doorbell Pro Device Settings page in the app, selecting General Settings, then altering Chime Type. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@MShanahan wrote:

But then, the doorbell shuts down. It goes completely dead and cannot be restarted unless I cut the power from the breaker and turn it back on 10-15 seconds later. Then it works again until the next person rings it.

I had the exact same problem just a few months after installing my Ring Pro a few years ago. That white box had slowly died and eventually killed my Ring Doorbell. They sent me a new Ring Doorbell and I ditched the idea of using my mechanical doorbell and now only using the digital chime.

You’ll also want to make sure your transformer that’s powering the Ring Doorbell is powerfull enough, not just the mV. Make sure it has enough VA power. I believe some mechanical doorbell units have a 5 VA power supply, but make sure it’s more than that, like 15 VA. Because if you don’t have enough power to supply the demand, that could cause the symptom you’re having too. Or if that white box IS failing and drawing too much power.

2 Likes

Thank you. I verified the setting is correct, but the issue is still occurring. I think I may need to purchase a Spare Parts Kit that you linked to. Thank you for that!

Thanks for the info on the power supply. I verified the voltage on the transformer was sufficient. I’ll try purchasing a spare parts kit and see if that resolves the issue.

I just installed the new Power Kit v2. I also verified my chime is on the supported list (NuTone BK125LWH-1). The problem is still occurring. I also double checked the transformer voltage, which was 21V. The chime is rated at 16V, would that cause a problem? Thanks.

Hi there, @MShanahan! The Doorbell Pro can operate on 16v to 24v of AC power. It sounds like the power supply is sufficient for powering the Doorbell Pro. I recommend also checking the wiring to ensure it is not too thin or loose anywhere. If this concern persists, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.