Ring Video Doorbell Pro not always notifies ring

We’ve been using the Ring Video Doorbell Pro for a few months now and we’ve noticed since the start that when you push the button it always emits a sound but sometimes we don’t get a ring notification (not in the app nor on the chime) but we do always get a motion notification and video. The chime (2nd gen) is located right above the modem in the hallway.

The modem is in the same hallway about 2 meters away. The signal strength in the Ring app of the Video Doorbell Pro seems fine (RSSI -51), as well as the chime (RSSI -30). The signal strength of both in the modem seem always full bars on 5 GHz for the Video Doorbell Pro and 2.4 for the chime. Transformer voltage seems fine in the Ring app (Good / 17 V).

We don’t get some of the typical lost / poor wifi symptoms because:
-we always get a motion notification and video
-video quality is always good (both in live view and recorded)
-live view always connects
-live view never stutters nor freezes

We use 2 iPhones, 1 Android phone, and a 2nd gen chime that all always have this problem at the same time. The Ring apps are the latest version and the Video Doorbell Pro and chime firmwares are the latest versions.

I think it does properly notify a ring about 8 out of 10 times but it’s just not reliable enough. Does anyone please have some suggestions of what might be wrong?

Hi @A182. When this happens, do you see the Doorbell ring in the Event History or does it not appear at all? I doesn’t seem like a connection concern but more likely that the events are occurring so close together, they can’t overlap. I’d first recommend verifying in the Event History if the Doorbell ring is showing up or not the next time you notice this happen.

Thank you for your reply @Caitlyn_Ring. When this happens there’s no Doorbell ring event but only a motion event. The strange thing is that when you look back to the motion event video you can clearly hear the Doorbell ring outside in the video but somehow it wasn’t changed to a Doorbell ring event

@A182 Thanks for that clarification. It’s possible that if the visitor is ringing the Doorbell immediately after motion is detected, the Doorbell Pro isn’t processing the ring as it’s still recording and processing the motion event. However, that’s only speculation on my end as I can’t see any account specific details. Since the RSSI seems solid and you aren’t experiencing any other issues, I’d recommend following up with our support team to take a closer look. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support. Feel free to let us know what solution they’re able to provide. :slight_smile:

@Caitlyn_Ring Thank you for your reply. If the Doorbell isn’t able to process both a motion and a ring at the same time then this could possibly be the issue. We’ve noticed that the Doorbell can be quite late with the motion detection, especially for people who enter the garden quickly. We’ve edited the motion detection zone to see if this could help.

1 Like