Ring video doorbell pro has stopped working after 3 years

Yesterday afternoon, after 34 months of faultless detection, my Ring video doorbell pro suddenly stopped working and showed a spinning white light around the doorbell button

Troubleshooting the device indicated that it was not connected to my WiFi. But troubleshooting that problem showed my WiFi was fine, and has a strong signal not only to the doorbell, but in addition to two door sensors, two window sensors and the main base station all in the same area.

I then followed Ring instructions for reconnecting the device to the WiFi but this process once again stalled at the spinning white light which apparently marks the process of connection to the WiFi.

Pushing and holding the reset button did change the light to a spinning blue, but that change in colour only lasted a few seconds before reverting to spinning white and has never occurred again.

After unsuccessfully going though the reconnection process several times, I deleted the doorbell device from my security setup and then proceeded to reinstall it.
However, the reinstallation process again stalled at the spinning white light, and refused to proceed beyond that point of trying to connect to my WiFi.

Before I bite the bullet and replace my ring doorbell, is there any other straightforward way I should try for fixing my current stubborn device or at least testing it for viability?

Thanks.
duggo

Hi Duggo, I experienced the exact identical situation about 30 days ago. My Ring Pro had worked perfectly for about 4 years. It started to go offline repeatedly and while I could occasionally get it back on line, it was intermitentant at best. No matter what I did, I could not get it to stay powered up and connected. Nothing had changed on the wiring side. Ultimately I gave up and replaced it with a new Ring Pro 2 which I have been running for the last 60 days or so with no problem at all. I suspect my older Ring Pro simply had a bad component that was no longer operational. The only issue I have had is that it continually reports anywhere from 15v-18v in the Device Health while my multi-meter indicates a constant 18v. It has never affected the performance. Best of luck whatever direction you go.

Thank you riprazor. I suspect I will also have to replace the unit. My Ring pro has not gone off line previously although it quite often recently has failed to audibly let me know when movement is detected.

Hi @duggo33. I would suggest removing power from your Ring Pro for at least 10 minutes. During this time with no power connected, repeatedly press the doorbell button for about 1 minute. This will cause the internal capacitor to drain. After 10 minutes have passed, reconnect the Ring Pro to power and give it a few minutes to boot up. Your Ring Pro will reboot and you can then perform a reset by pressing and holding the setup button for 20 seconds. This should allow you to reconnect the Ring Pro to your wifi. Let me know if this works for you.

1 Like

Thanks Tom. I will try that shortly and let you know.
BTW, I live in Canada and currently if anyone living in Canada needs or wants to upgrade to Pro 2, you cannot get it from Amazon.com because the pro 2 listing states that the Canada supply is “temporarily out of stock”. However, you can order it and have it delivered to Canada directly from Ring.com.
d

1 Like

Thanks again Tom. It took 3 tries to get it to connect to my WiFi, but it did finally and now it is working again just fine. Not certain how long this will last so I have ordered Pro 2 for replacement.
doug

1 Like

Hey @duggo33. Glad to hear that you got this to work!

I have owned 2 Ring Pro doorbells over the last 6 years. Both of them broke or started to malfunction after the warranty period. Also my chimes broke once.
I suspect this has been engineered to fail after a few years. It’s unacceptable.

I ditched Ring and went to Eufy.