Ring Video Doorbell Pro Goes Online / Offline several times daily

I have a new Ring Video Doorbell Pro purchased in March. It came with the little square power kit. It goes offline and back online several times daily, with no constant time between (no constant time down and no constant frequency). Here’s my history:

• I originally wired it into my mechanical doorbell as per the instructions. Knocker in doorbell was wiggling/buzzing at night as the Doorbell Pro drew power for infrared.
  • I upgraded the transformer in the wall to a 30 VAC 16v max transformer that is stated to be compatible with the RDP. Once upgraded, the buzzing mechanical doorbell did not resolve, so i removed it from the connection entirely and just connected the transformer directly to the RDP.
  • Since then, the RDP has started the intermittant offline/online. I’ve noticed that at night, the infrared lights will turn off briefly but the camera will stay on.
  • I have tried connecting the RDP directly to my WiFi and to a WiFi extender close to the RDP.
  • The last time the RDP went down, it would not respond at all to the side button reset. I cut the breaker power to it for a few days and then powered it back on and it reconnected but started the intermittancy again.

Its voltage stays at about 4005 - 4021 mV consistently. Signal strength at about -50. Resolution is always sharp and clear when its online. I’ve even programmed the WiFi extender to reboot twice a day to force it to reconnect to my main WiFi. The intermittant offline/online does not correspond with these times.

This is incredibly frustrating. The fact that the Ring app presents NO logging to me at all, as an IT pro, is moreso. Anyone have any ideas at all? I purchased this after having POSITIVE experiences with two floodlight cams and wanted a reliable security cam at my doorbell.

Hey @yamata45. With the Doorbell Pro setup that you have currently or in previous setups, have you always ensured that the Pro Power Kit is installed in the wiring connection? Without a Pro Power Kit installed, this can cause this concern you’re having, and cause damage to the device.

Whether you had it installed or not, I do recommend reaching out to our support team, who will have access into the Device’s Health Summary Reports to get that in-depth look you’re looking for! Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. Feel free to come back and let me know how this goes, as your answer may help other neighbors!

Hi Chelsea,

Yes, the Pro Power Kit V2 that came with my Ring Video Doorbell Pro is wired in according to instructions (both in the normal way to my physical doorbell chime, and when it was “growling”, the Pro Power Kit was wired in “Bypass Mode” by peeling the sticker back.

I will give the support team a call.

Also, in the wiring diagrams that Ring has on the support section of their website, why is there NO diagram for just ONE Video Door Bell Pro and a standard doorbell. All the diagrams have two or more video doorbell pro’s. Confusing.