Ring Video Doorbell

Browse posts, comment, and join in the discussion about Rings wired and battery doorbell.
E
Ring Video Doorbell Pro - 5GHz Streaming Error
wifi
troubleshooting
Changed my Wi-Fi at home and now my Ring video doorbell does not stream or record properly. My Wi-Fi setup is dual band and has band steering. Ring works OK in 2.4 GHz band but does not work on 5GHz band. The problem is that the 5GHz band is strong where the Ring is installed so it automatically switches to it. It should work since I've checked the device health and all is good on 5GHz (RSSI -61, Transformer Voltage Good) but it simply will not stream (Streaming Error) and records black video. I forced it onto 2.4GHz band by turning off 5GHz band and it worked, but as soon as I turned 5GHz band back on it switches and stops working. I really do not want to have two separate SSIDs for the separate bands as band steering is working perfectly well for absolutely everything else except for Ring. I do not want to sacrifice my Wi-Fi setup just for Ring, as a matter of fact, It will be the other way around if I cannot solve this infuriating issue. The Ring Video Doorbell Pro is supposed to be able to handle 5GHz but it simply does not work.

20-01-2022 08:42:33

Responses (3)

C
Hi @Efer62. While the Ring Doorbell Pro does work with 5.0GHz networks, you'll likely have better and more reliable performance on a 2.4GHz network as it has a farther effective range. This is especially true when the wifi is traveling through building materials to connect to a device outside on your front door. Additionally, at an RSSI of -61, you could experience connectivity concerns. You can read more about RSSI in our Community Post on the topic [here](https://community.ring.com/t/how-it-works-your-ring-device-rssi-good-vs-poor/229#M4).

21-01-2022 08:03:29

E
I understand this. However, I cannot force my Ring doorbell to connect to the 2.4 GHz so this device no longer works. Even with RSSI -58 it doesn't work.

24-01-2022 02:00:13

E
So nothing to do I guess. This thing simply no longer works. Look into a different product I guess.

25-01-2022 02:33:22

M
5 Ghz is a great wifi connection frequency, however, the 2.4 Ghz band will allow for more dependability over distance and through exterior walls. Most dual band networks will have options and settings that will allow you to separate or dedicate connections based on the band/ channel set. If the 5Ghz connection is not performing the best, a great step is to move the router closer to your Ring device to improve this connection. Alternatively, you could also add a 2.4 Ghz only wifi extender if you have one available. You router equipment manufacturer support should be able to guide you through obtaining a 2.4 Ghz connection if needed. Our support team is also happy to take a closer look at this. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available [here](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/213608406). If you are outside of the US, please visit [here ](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-gb/articles/213608406)to see how to contact support.

25-01-2022 05:30:22

E
The 5 GHz connection is strong, but it is not a matter of not performing the best, it is simply not working at all. I do not want to separate the bands (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) as my router supports band steering and it has been working well for us. As a matter of fact, everything is working very well (and we have tons of devices and automation) except for the Ring Video Doorbell Pro. This is simply not working. If I try Live View I eventually get a streaming error and past events are recorded as black video. And I am paying for a plan!

27-01-2022 02:44:33

E
Ended up creating a new wireless network with an Airport Express I had lying around. Connected the Ring Video Doorbell Pro to the new 2.4 GHz network and then made it a hidden network. Works perfectly now. It is sad that I had to create a dedicated wireless network only for the Ring. No other devices need to join this network, but at least I did not have to separate bands in my existing network; band steering is working quite well for everything else.

30-01-2022 10:22:32

P
I had this same problem with my Spotlight Cam Wired (1st Gen). I have a Floodlight Cam (1st Gen), Floodlight Cam Wired Pro, and a Video Doorbell (2020) that all work fine when I have my 5 Ghz and 2.4 Ghz network with bandsteering turned on, but the Spotlight cam doesn't work. When I turn on only 2.4 Ghz, everything connect. When I turn 5 Ghz + 2.4 Ghz with bandsteering on, everything connects EXCEPT the Spotlight Cam. The crazy thing is this all used to work fine, but it randomly stopped working around January of 2022, which tells me that Ring did released some firmware update that broke the Spotlight Cam Wired. I have built hundreds of wireless networks in a professional setting in my career and have never seen a device that failed to connect to 2.4 Ghz when bandsteering is turned on. The whole point of bandsteering is to accommodate legacy devices that can't connect to 5 Ghz. To respond to the Ring techs who responded here, you need to escalate this to someone on your team who understands how wireless networking functions. Everything you said about 5 Ghz is true, except the person who said that -61 RSSI is bad (that is a fantastic wireless signal). Your product is flawed and it used to work fine on networks that have bandsteering, and most of my products successfully connect to the 2.4 Ghz, even when they have a great 5 Ghz signal. The issue is that your products seem to be unable to ignore a 5 Ghz signal when presented with one. It would be great if someone could fix this, but if not, people should just buy a different product.

24-08-2022 02:07:50

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

J

Jventerprises

User
Solution

R

Rick_Madik

User