Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2 Burning out Transformers

I have a Video Doorbell Pro 2. Initially installed in March and worked fine unitl late July. Installed per instruction and to correctly powered transformer (Hampton Bay from Home Depot). Troubleshooting the system revealed that the transformer was outputting nearly zero volts, so I decided to replace it. I purchased another transformer from Home Depot. After connecting, it was at 2 volts almost instantly. Figuring that I had a defective unit, I went back and exchanged for another transformer. This time, I decided to bypacss the chime and connect the Ring Pro 2 directly to the transformer. Everything appeard to be back online and the Ring was showing a healthy status at 17 volts. This worked for about 20 minutes and then the transformer burned out again. Now reading less than 1 volts. Looking at the forums it appears that I’m not the only one with this issue, but I’m failing to see an actual resolution. Any advise?

Hi @nasapat. I suggest reaching out to our support team to look into this. They’ll be able to run some diagnostic test on the Ring Pro 2 and determine what is happening here. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

Did you ever find a solution here? I have burned through 3 transformers with 2 different Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2s. FYI…my Ring Video doorbell is direct hardwired to the transformer (max 12 foot run)…I didn’t have an existing doorbell chime (mechanical or digital)

Ring Tech support keeps sending me replacement Video Doorbell Pro 2s…after 60 - 90 painful minutes on the phone dealing with some poor tech support jockey reading from a script…but given that this has happened with 2 different devices, I am reluctant to install a 3rd.

My Video Doorbell Pro 2 worked for 18 months hard-wired to a 10-year-old 16V transformer before it failed in the same manner as described in this and similar conversations. The transformer was outputting nearly zero volts after the doorbell failed. So I too replaced it with the Home Depot transformer, which reported 18V output before the doorbell was connected, almost instantly “killing” the transformer, leaving it outputting just under 1V. An electrician helped me verify the wiring is correct and there are no shorts. After a (mostly senseless) hour on the phone with Ring support they are sending a replacement ring doorbell under the protect plan. … Has anyone else taken any definitive steps to keep it from failing again?

Hi neighbors. Your Doorbell Pro 2 should not cause a transformer to burn out. Your Doorbell Pro 2 is compatible with doorbell systems supplying 16-24 volts VAC at 50 or 60Hz, 40 VA max. When installing your Pro 2, please make sure to properly install the Pro Power Kit. You can reference the installation steps here. Additionally, ensure there are no issues with the wiring that could impact the doorbell circuit. We recommend consulting with a qualified electrician if you’re unfamiliar with the doorbell wiring. If there’s been any damage to your Doorbell, please contact our support team for further assistance.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.