Ring Video Doorbell 3 Plus and VPN

This product was a gift. Who has a solution for using it with a VPN? Hard to understand why this product doesn’t work with one of the most widely recommended security tools. Thanks.

Hi @jagayhardt. As of December 2019, we no longer support the use of VPNs while accessing Ring, Rapid Ring, or Neighbors applications. In order to use these applications, you will need to disable your VPN or ask your VPN provider to help you exclude Ring traffic from the VPN.

Disabling VPN, and all the home security it provides, unacceptable. I will contact VPN provider with your idea.

Not supporting VPN, one of the most recommended security tools, is inconsistent with IOT security integration.

Strongly suggest Ring SOLVE whatever issues it is having with VPNs or hire someone who can.

Very disappointing.

@jagayhardt Thank you for your feedback on this! I will make sure I pass this onto the appropriate teams for you so it can be in consideration for the future. If you’re able to exclude Ring traffic from the VPN, please share how you did so here, as this will help other neighbors! :slight_smile:

I’ve just got the RVD3+ and I too use a VPN and my provider (Express VPN) allows non VPN traffic, though this is via a Linksys WRT3200ACM router, which you can install the VPN firmware on the router so all traffic can go through the VPN instead of installing the software on each device, upto 5. You then have the ability to choose which device goes through the VPN.

Hope this helps

1 Like