Ring Video Doorbell 2 hardwired Help

HELP! I have a ring video doorbell 2 hardwired
and recently my battery went dead. I replaced the doorbell transformer still was not charging tested the connections @ 18vac then I replaced the battery still not charging. I checked the terminals on the ring and I have 18vac. Still is not charging and it is not displaying wired in the info section.

1 Like

I’m having similar issue with my ring doorbell 2. It’s hardwired and I have been using it one and a half years now without an issue.

Two days ago I received a low battery notification. It’s not charging the battery since then.

Is it because of new features or firmware update?Any idea how to fix it?

Thanks!

Hello,

I have a Ring Video Doorbell 2 that’s always been hardwired to a 20VAC transformer since I got it in 2018. Until the past couple months, I have never had to charge it, but recently the battery has been draining even without any change in the average number of motion events.

If I take out the battery and plug it back in to “restart” the doorbell, it starts charging again slowly at a rate of about 8-10% charge per day. However, seemingly at random it will start draining quickly again at a rate of 15-20% per day. One time I tested the doorbell, it got back up to 44% before it started draining. Another time it got all the way up to 100% before it started draining again 1-2 days later.

It seems like maybe there’s a software bug that randomly triggers and then goes away temporarily after a reboot.

At first I attributed the battery drain to the cold since it first died when it was in the 10s and 20s Fahrenheit outside, so I took it inside and charged it, but now that the weather has warmed up, it’s still having the same issue.

I connected the doorbell directly to the 20VAC transformer and bypassed my doorbell chime to make sure that’s not causing an issue. I measured the voltage from the transformer at the connections to the doorbell at 21VAC. But still having the same problem after doing that.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Mike

Hi neighbors! For battery concerns, I would highly recommend checking out an existing thread on this topic. You can find one here, which has an informative reply marked as the solution so you can easily find it. There are also several replies with troubleshooting tips and tricks. If you’re unable to find an answer in that thread, our support team is also available to assist.

You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. They’ll be able to pull up your account and take a look at your device specifically. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile: