Ring video door bell randomly rings

I’ve had this issue of randomly ringing with two different Ring Doorbells. Both time the doorbell had to be replaced. Resetting it did not work. My current doorbell lasted about 5 years before failing. They used to have a lifetime exchange, but appears they change their policy now that Amazon bought them out.

we are also starting to get random ringing as well but no chime or Ring App notification. checking the video history, there was no motion detected. We are going two nights of random ringing. I disconnected my chime and left our porch light on overnight just in case for tonight to see if it will make a difference. if not, I’ll try to reinstall our bell tomorrow am.

1 Like

I’m also having the problem of the doorbell ringing randomly when no one is there. It has been installed for a few years now and only recently started having this problem. But now it can ring 20, 30, even more times per day. Beyond annoying. It is directly wired and uses the previously existing doorbell in my house. The pattern also is not always the same. Sometimes it triggers the doorbell to ring inside the house. Sometimes it only shows an a notification to the app. Sometimes it records the activity, even though no one is there. Sometimes not. Sometimes it will cause the doorbell to ring quickly two or three times in succession so it doesn’t even completely finish the first ring before starting another. Sometimes I can see (because I’m sitting by a window in my office at the time) that a vehicle passing by will set off the ring. It has gone off so many times that the power gets to the point of also being drained. I’m not sure what my next steps should be. Do I call an electrician to see if there is a short? But seems odd since why would a vehicle driving by cause the doorbell to ring? Has something failed in the Ring mechanism itself? Do I need to buy a new Ring? I’m at a loss but the constant ringing is driving me nuts and needs to be figured out. Thanks.

3 Likes

I also have gen1 doorbell ring which has been installed nearly a year and magically started ringing doorbell yesterday as I walked by unit. So motion is causing doorbell to sound randomly not every time I passed it, this was during day, then doorbell started sounding during night with no one around, no motion was detected. As I stood in front of unit removing security screws the doorbell would sound, so I’m convinced it’s a software issue. I checked compatability list and our doorbell isn’t compatible, funny it has worked for nearly a year so I blame latest software update is causing issue. Time to throw away doorbell ring. Look for another brand.

I had the same problem. First I couldn’t get the chime to work. That’s another story. Short version is we needed a new transponder. Finally got it work with the new transponder. Problem solved, we thought. So late in the evening, all of a sudden, the Chime started ringing non-stop. The Chime was a digital chime and listed on Ring’s “approved devices” list. After watching several You Tube videos about all the problems with Ring and a digital door chime, we went to Home Depot, bought an old fashioned “ding dong” chime that was not digital. We haven’t had a problem since and it’s been about 18 months. My Ring doorbell has been working fine but it was a major hassle for all those “little” things Ring and it’s greedy retailers don’t tell you when you buy one. Shame on Amazon.

Do you have a digital door chime? Try replacing it with a mechanical one (where a bell is physically rung inside the chime). There are tons of You Tube videos about digital chime problems with Ring doorbells. We bought a nice one that matched our decor at Home Depot for not alot of bucks. The only thing we gave up is getting to pick our ring tone.

Well same problem here, Have had Ring for over a year and no problems, Now on Saturday had a phantom ring @ 11:15 pm and then again @ 4 am, Sunday at about 1:00 pm had two phantom rings, and Monday another two phantom rings. Each time No one was there, Nothing on Ring or Arlo cameras, and garage light did not come on. Checked the chime it is one that is compatible and never had any problems before. What gives, has some kind of software update been done not telling us? Seems very strange nothing for over a year then all of a sudden multiple phantom rings.

2 Likes

I am having the same problem. I have had mine for 3+ years. No issues prior to Saturday night. It rang at 2:29am and 4 am. It woke the whole family out of a deep sleep. All of the dogs began to bark. It was quite scary to think that someone was ringing our doorbell at these times. Yet no one was there. It has randomly rang about 4 times since then. How do I get technical support? I am about ready to rip it out of the wall.

2 Likes

Hi neighbors! If you’ve tried the troubleshooting steps suggested in this thread previously to no avail, I would recommend contacting our support team so they can take a deeper look. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile:

Sounds like I’m not the only one with phantom ringing. Our ring doorbell
has been installed for over a year with no problems and no changes. The past week we have been bothered with random ringing of our house digital chime. Checked all the suggested items and nothing is wrong. Except for some apparent defect with the Ring device. Pretty disappointing that the ring community can’t find a resolve. Any suggestions for a more reliable product besides ring? I guess I can try to contact ring via phone, sounds like it will be long wait to get an answer from a human.

Add me to the list of folks who suddenly started to receive random doorbell rings. I get 4-5 per day with no associated notifications. Two of the rings are happening at night. Driving us crazy. I recommend the Ring team get a tiger team together FAST and solve this problem or you will loose customers left and right. Unacceptable.

1 Like

Same problem here. Installed for years and no changes now random rings throughout the day. I never really liked the Ring doorbell anyway so I guess if they can’t figure out soon Bye Bye!

Same problem here.
I have a Ring Doorbell for almost 3 years and now all of the sudden this started to happen.
Really annoying, it wake me up at 4 am, I hate it!
Please, a fix Ring!

1 Like

Started on Saturday Night, has gotten worse, every day since multiple nuisanse chimes, Today @ 6:00 am and three more tonight at 5:30 pm and 6:30 pm and 6:40 pm so far, the night is young. It’s sad WE pay for the service, to ring our door chime multiple times a day, and wake the household up at night for no reason. What do I have to do ? Disconnect my doorbell not to be disturbed ? How can anyone recommend to anyone to buy an annoying disruptive product. Maybe WE should ALL contact the media about such a " Wonderful " product.

Same problem, false rings and very annoying. Deleted the doorbell, reinstalled and it’s still false ringing…

I’m having the same phantom ringing with my Ring Video Doorbell Pro, with my mechanical chime (pre-wired). Maybe this will get more attention if we took it to the Redditt boards.

Has anyone figured this out yet? My doorbell is less than a year old. It came as part of a smart home feature in the house I purchased. The builder replaced the doorbell once already when the doorbell would not chime at all. Not it has random, intermittent chiming every 15-20 minutes. I’ve had to disconnect it completely.

I haven’t had this problem yet but a neighbor has. After reading the many reports I wonder if this could be a bad RING software / firmware update or if someone has hacked RING? Do any of you reporting this have two-factor security set up for RING and / or have you strong WiFi router and access passwords and / or use a VPN? No idea if this is the problem but these issues seem to have been created - none were there from the start.

Hi there, neighbors! It looks like some neighbors are still having the concern of their chime kit ringing, or Video Doorbell sending ring event notifications. For neighbors who are noticing a random chime sound from their chime kit, and confirm it is not related to a button push or an event displaying in the Ring app, this can often be caused by wiring variables.

Check out my Hardwiring Checklist for Battery-Powered Video Doorbells, and this Hardwiring Checklist for Video Doorbell Pros, for tips on checking all power related variables. This will certainly help with chime kit functionality.

If an event is triggering a ring event in your Ring app event history, without the button being pushed, please ensure there is not any debris or obstruction hitting the button. If this concern persists, despite checking the above, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

Add to the list of extremely disappointed customers with this. Will try one more time with tech support before I return it.