Ring video door bell randomly rings

Our doorbell randomly rings in the middle of the night multiple times. We have checked the wiring and the compatibility and all is fine. I beleive we need a new power pack that it may be defective. I am not sure. This only happens in the middle of the night when we are all sleeping, never during the day which is very strange. Please help as it is annoying to wake up everytime it rings breaking up our sleep.

3 Likes

Has anyone found a real solution for this issue? Had my Ring doorbell for over 2 years working fine up until a couple weeks ago when it was going off on its own. It was going crazy…ring but no one there. I have another security camera by the front porch so definitely not anyone playing prank. Eventually it stopped and we didn’t even realize it had stopped working altogether despite the blue circle light still on as we had a delivery that rang the doorbell but we weren’t aware of it. We then tested pressing the doorbell button to no chime and motion detection not working. Looked at the app and and it was showing offline. Took it out and it showed a low battery of 2%. Tried charging but doesn’t seem to be charging as that 2% hasn’t gone up. We are using the original wires and measured the voltage to be 18V so our transformater is still good. I am thinking after 2 years, the battery can no longer hold a charge or after they upgraded the firmware to support auto video display on the Echo Show devices. Can the battery be replaced or do we have to junk it and buy a whole new Ring doorbell, which is not cheap at $200 ($100 for the old version). I might have to go with a different brand so it doesn’t required a battery to work properly. It could be due to the buggy firmware, which would explain why those new users having this same problem even though it’s only been a couple weeks old.

2 Likes

After about 2 years… i am having the same exact problem everyone is talking about. Its been happening for about 2 weeks. Wth is going ?

3 Likes

Same issue. Had my doorbell same amount of time. Still no answer on how to fix it

1 Like

Not solved. This did not work!!! My ring is connected to a power outlet not the wires to the home doorbell and the sound comes from the Ring Chime plugins I bought from your site. My doorbell still rings on it own and it is only two years old.

1 Like

I’m having the same issue, 3 times in the last few days it’s rang and no one is there. It’s hard wired and I have the chime plugged into an outlet inside. Only 6 months old.

1 Like

Hi, same just happened to us. Ring chime is ringing but no one at the door and no one in the neighbourhood. No message on the Ring app either. We have wifi connection setup between the chime and the doorbell, so it can’t be the wiring.

1 Like

Not sure why this forum states that the problem is “solved” - it is not. Here is what is happening, and what I’ve tried:

Problem: Inside hardwired electronic (not mechanical) doorbell chime “dings” only once - it does not go through an entire (musical type) cycle. There is NO motion alert from the Ring doorbell, nor video. It typically occurs in the late evening, or middle of the night.

Attempted fixes:

1. removed the Ring doorbell and cleaned contacts, reseated the diode and wires

2. purchased a brand new heavier duty 18V transformer and installed

3. ensured that the device firmware was current

It STILL does this - the only thing that eliminates the random “dings” is removing the Ring doorbell from the mount. The moment I put it back on, it begins this annoying “ding” cycle all over again. I can duplicate the single “ding” by removing the Ring doorbell, and shorting the connection - it produces the same single “ding”. (if it was the wires leading to the Ring doorbell shorting, it would occur withOUT the Ring doorbell attached). This tells me that the Ring doorbell has a random “short” in the device, which is troublesome.

C’mon Ring - you can do better. I have multiple Ring devices and am quickly losing faith in your support and product.

3 Likes

I’ve have the same issue, getting phantom ring at 2am, 3am ish and 5am ish in the morning. It’s very frustrating trying to get some sleep for work the next day. Please find a resolution.

2 Likes

For the last 3 nights the bell goes off and on all night and no one is there. I am ready to yank it out of the wall. Please help. I need a good nights sleep

1 Like

Could an update have caused this to happen?

My doorbell elite rings my doorbell, classic transformer/magnetic type, every morning at 5:30 AM CST like clockwork, twice. Every stinking day. It started this roughly a month ago. Fortunately I usually sleep through it but someone changed something, pushed a firmware update, and now I have a 5:30 AM alarm clock I don’t want. Nothing suggested here has had any impact on the problem although if I power-cycle the device prior to the 5:30 AM double-ding-dong it usually doesn’t do it.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about this @Semiazas! I recommend checking the device settings for your Doorbell Elite in the Ring app to ensure the chime type selected matches the one you have. Additionally, try removing and re-attaching the wires on the terminals. Please also ensure the wiring is standard gauge and not too thin.

If this concern persists, try reaching out to our support team to troubleshoot further. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Marley, do you work for RING? Several us on this thread are having the same issue… The doorbells are triggering on their own.

What is the company doing in the event the owner has done all the trouble-shooting? I’m at the point where I’ve removed mine from the house and discontinued using it because it’s so frustrating. I’d recommend someone from your team diving in and finding a resolution for us ASAP before all these negative experiences translate into lost customers (and very bad reviews / word of mouth).

Thanks

4 Likes

She stated the following.

"If this concern persists, try reaching out to our support team to troubleshoot further. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

So here’s how to contact customer service.
Information on customer support below.

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360041597471-Ring-s-Response-to-COVID-19

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036196372-Get-in-Touch

I was experiencing the random-chime-at-night problem like several others, and was able to fix the issue. This may not apply in all cases, but if you have a mechanical doorbell with two chimes (set up for front and rear door, where one goes “ding” and the other “ding-dong”) the random chiming may be caused by a basic mis-wiring of the mechanical chime. This miswiring may have been done years ago but has gone undetected all that time. For the two chime mechanical door bell there are three screw terminals in the unit. The correct way that these should be connected is a lead from the transformer should be attached to the center terminal, and the leads from the two doorbell pushbuttons should be attached to the two outside terminals (left and right). The subtle thing about this is that when the doorbell circuit is equipped with simple push buttons these leads may be mis-wired and yet the mechanical doorbell will still work as intended, so no one may be the wiser. For example: if the transformer lead is attached to one of the outside terminals (let’s say the left terminal) and the pushbutton leads are attached to the center and the other outside terminal (the terminal on the right) the mechanical chime will give the “ding” and “ding-dong” sounds as intended. The only hint that something may be mis-wired is that when the pushbutton connected to the right hand terminal is pushed both chime solenoid plungers are activated, yielding the double chime. So you can live with your doorbell miswired like this for years and never notice an issue.

But now if you convert the pushbutton connected to the terminal on the right to a ring video camera, and install the pro-power kit between the center terminal and the terminal on the right (as the instructions tell you to do), then that video doorbell is being asked to operate both chime solenoids, and there are now two pro-power kits wired in series in the circuit. In my case my video doorbell worked fine for the first eight hours after I installed it, but once night fell and the infrared LEDs came on the unit went crazy and started randomly chiming. This would happen only at night, and only when the infrared LEDs were activated - I found that as long as my porch lights were on there was no problem, but the moment I turned off the porch lights the chiming would start. My guess is that the extra current required by the video doorbell to operate the LEDs, with the pro-power kits in series in the circuit, causes a malfunction in the circuitry in the video doorbell, and it essentially shorts the doorbell leads. Meanwhile my other video door bell, which replaced the original pusbutton (which I now know was incorrectly wired to the center terminal), worked fine with no issues.

My original mechanical chime is over 30 years old, so I’m guessing it was mis-wired like this for all that time. I was able to figure it out using a voltmeter, disconnecting the three leads from the screw terminals in the mechanical chime, and checking voltages between each pair of wires. When the pair of leads at one of the doors is shorted (simulating a pushbutton being depressed), at the mechanical chime you should read 16VAC between the transformer lead and the pushbutton lead that is being shorted. This is how I was able to figure out that the transformer lead had been incorrectly connected to the terminal on the left instead of the center terminal. I reconnected the wire leads with the transformer lead properly connected to the center terminal and the doorbell pushbutton leads to the two outside terminals, then reinstalled the video doorbell units and pro-power kits, and now everything works like a champ! So lesson learned: just because your mechanical chime works like it should with the original pushbutton doorbell switches, don’t assume that the system is wired properly. Hope this helps.

3 Likes

I totally agree with you with #2 and #3. I believe someone (most likely a Ring engineer) or FBI agent is doing this to either test it out or playing a prank. And ghosts are known to come out around 3-3:30am. Google it.

Hi, Our ring doorbell went off twice last night, one at 20:59 with a motion sound notification through my ring chime together with a notification on my phone to which I entered the ring app through the notification to check but no-one was there so I then checked my cctv and saw the light had come on on my ring doorbell like it had been pressed. We then received a second notification on phone at 21:16 ( didn’t hear chime this time but was upstairs with tv on so maybe just didn’t hear it, not sure) but again no-one was there (no lighting of doorbell this time on cctv). We have wireless ring system with battery powered ring doorbell and plug in boosted ring chime.

After a year with no phantom rings, I got three of them yesterday! No-one there and no activity on the App. So this morning I called a friend who I knew had a Ring to ask if he had ever had the problem and he said… “That’s strange, it had never happened before, but it happened to me for the first time yesterday!”

So my conclusion is that this was a problem with Amazon and hopefully they have now fixed this. Hands up Amazon!

Hi,

The timing for this is exactly what I experienced last night.

It went off att 21.00 and then again 15 minutes later.

No one was there and video could not be turned on at that time.

Nothing was mentioned in the log.

I have the battery driven Ring Doorbell 2 with chime and it has worked flawlessy for 2 years. Until now.