Ring spotlight Motion zones for lights

Ring spotlight - Motion zones for lights doesn’t work.
I called Ring 3 times for the same issue. For my ring spotlight the light setting doesn’t work properly. Even thought I reduce the 3 areas to the minimum, the light is still on when a car is passing by. I only need the light to be on when something happens in my front yard. Please help

Minimizing sensitivity and the zones is a great way to avoid triggering your lights. Please note, the motion detection field of view for lights is greater than the Camera’s field of view and regular motion detection. I recommend also adjust the physical angle of your Camera to see if this combined with the motion zones change will help.

There is also a toggle in the Ring app to only trigger lights for motion at night, which can fine tune this experience further. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Ring did a horrible update to floodlight devices in October 2021 that ruined the light settings working correctly as advertised.
Now anytime the separate camera sensor senses motion in your motion zones, the lights will come on every single time no matter how far away the motion is including headlights and flying insects now.
Now, after October 2021 horrible update, setting your separate light settings on minimal distance so the lights only come on when someone gets close to the device does not work anymore and has not worked correctly since October 2021.
It also now ignores light durations in light settings, staying on for the whole recording.
The flood light used to work perfect with the lights only going on when someone got close to it.
Absolutely disgusted with ring and Amazon changing the device I paid for.
Search the thread,
“All of a sudden my flood light lights are sensitive”

EDIT: It appears there’s a much larger thread on this issue:

@Marley_Ring are you able to address what user354 has mentioned above? I am in the exact same situation as him as are others talking about this issue on reddit.

The PIR light sensor no longer appears to be used for triggering lights. Changing the “Motion Sensitivity for Lights” has absolutely NO impact on triggering lights. The motion zones for video recording now appear to be used for deciding when to trigger lights. I can see how some people would very much like this feature, but I and other very much do not.

I set the video motion zone on my floodlight cam to the Entire area on purpose so that everything including cars driving by are recorded on video (I want as close to 24h recording as possible). However, I DO NOT want my lights to trigger for the same motion zone (entire area) because now the bright floodlights turn on anytime my neighbours reverse out of their driveway, every car that drives by, a raccoon on the other sidewalk etc. This is very problematic.

I propose a simple solution if Ring has decided to use the camera motion zones for triggering lights. Create a drawable motion zone for lights that is separate from the video motion zone. That way I can keep my custom drawn motion zone for VIDEO and an independent drawn zone for LIGHTS. Maybe include a button to sync both for those who want their two zones the same.

1 Like

Hi neighbors. It looks like Marley has addressed this concern in this post here. If you have any further questions about this, feel free to reach out to our support team. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here.

Hi Do you know this dosent actually work ?

Hi @Ross366. If the suggestions Marley made don’t seem to work for you, I suggest reaching out to our support team. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.