I’ve been unable to get live view, video history or enriched notifications to work on the Ring Spotlight Cam (wired, first gen) since buying it two weeks ago. It connected just fine during set up. I can control the light and alarm without issue. The motion notifications work but the only image I can see is the thumbnail on the app or web which I’ve set to update every 30s.
Everything at my home is connected to 2 TP-Link Deco M4 mesh wireless routers set up in access point mode. They are hardwired back to a switch that is plugged into the modem/router from the ISP. Before yesterday, the access points were wired directly to the modem/router (no switch).
I’ve called support and completed all troubleshooting they proposed but nothing fixed my issue. Here are the details in point form:
tried using the camera RIGHT next to one of my access points
- test was 65 down/13 up
- camera said RSSI-29
tested the speed from outside near the camera’s permanent location
- speed test on my phone outside next to the camera come back at 15 down and 9 up.
- camera says RSSI-42
reset my modem and access points multiple times
I’ve read everything I could find on this forum about previous Tp-link deco mesh wifi issues (which now all claim to be resolved)
- support reps were not aware of these and insisted everything is fine
- support reps told me not to adjust any settings on the router even when I asked about the article about ports and other settings
- tried with fast roaming disabled and enabled
- tried with beam forming disabled and enabled
- tried with the ring device having mesh enabled and disabled
- ring cam is connected via 2.4 GHz but I also tried disabling 5ghz just in case.
I’ve now reset the camera (hold for 20s) multiple times.
So here are my questions;
are there still issues with the TP-Link Deco routers as posted here between 2019 and 2020?
do I need to/should I adjust any settings on my modem/router?
is RSSI-42 good enough for the camera to work?
what are the symptoms of ‘bricking’ caused by the previous ring/tp-link issue?
I’m calling technical support again tonight but my experience so far with them has me considering returning my ring devices and going with another brand.
Thanks in advance.