Ring Spotlight Cam Pro Battery records black video every 2-5 mins

I recently purchased the Ring Spotlight Cam Pro Battery which was just released and shipped last week. I have installed at our front door and is running on battery. The wifi strength is - 48 rssi and we have fast, stable internet. The setup went fine, I have set motion zones, to record and only alert when people detected, and even turned down the motion sensitivity.

The camera worked fine for the first few hours recording people and the notifications being sent. However after a few hours it starts recording 30sec black video every 2-5 mins. The camera at this point becomes unresponsive. The battery will drain very quickly also. When it doing this I also can not turn lights on and off via the app or watch live video whilst it is stuck like this. However the rssi is still - 48. And internet working fine.

The only way to fix it is pull the battery out and in again, and then it works fine again for few hours. Then same thing happens again. Not sure what is going on and tried all the settings and options available.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Phil.

Hi @pjw81. You can try these additional troubleshooting steps to address your concern:

If you have tried these steps and are still having the same concern, give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here for further assistance. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

Hi @Justin_Ring,

Thanks for the additional steps to try. I have already tried a soft reboot and also a factory reset. Both of these didn’t make any difference. After setting the camera up again, after a while I start getting black recordings constantly.

I did purchase a Ring Chime Pro, to try and improve the Wifi signal and RSSI. The RSSI of the Chime Pro is -37 and now the RSSI of the Camera is -40 to -44. This is much improved over the -48 to -50 I was previously getting.

This made a difference to start with, the camera worked well all day. However by the evening the camer got stuck in black recordings again and became unresponsive. To me it appears to be related to the motion detection. It seems to pick up movement outside of the Camera Motion Zone I have set up. And once it detects motion, after that it gets stuck.

Any other ideas? I plan to do a factory reset again tonight, set up with Chime Pro Wifi from scratch and see what happens (versus just switching network)?

I have also made changes to my internet plan (will be applied tomorrow), currently I have a 50/17mbps plan, and I have now upgraded to 250/22mbps plan that should have better latency etc to see if makes a difference. This is just a test for 1 month and I can always downgrade back to current plan if that doesn’t make a difference. I woudl assume that 50/17mbps should be adequate.

Is there anything else to try? Are there any logs or diagnostics that could help pinpoint the problem, or do you think it could be a faulty device?

Regards,
Phil.

Hi @Justin_Ring,

I also just noticed the battery status is poor, even though it has 47%? Is that expected? Does the status related to the percentage or something else? Could the battery be the problem?

Phil.

Hi @pjw81. Both internet speeds should be adequate to handle the Spotlight Cam Pro, assuming that you do not have too many devices connected to your network. The signal strength is at a really good level as well. What does not sound right is that your Camera is becoming unresponsive, and the troubleshooting steps should have resolved that. Since they did not help, I recommend contacting our support team. They will be able to have a more in-depth look at your Camera and figure out the next best step for your device.

Hi @Justin_Ring,

Thank you for your response. Yes I will contact support today. The last few days the camera has been better, but still gets black recordings. It appears realted to motion detection, if I disbale that it works as expected and battery and viewing live video always works. When I define a motion detection zone, it still appears to detec motion outside the zone, and also after a few detections is when it starts recording black videos every 3 mins.

Will let you know how I go with support.

Regards,
Phil.

1 Like