Ring Retrofit wired in parallel with DSC Power series

Hello Ring experts,

I got my Ring Retrofit Kit installed and working fine, but I wired the 3 zones on my old alarm (corresponding to the 3 doors I want protected) in parallel to the zones on the Ring Retrofit. The reason I did that is that I wanted my old alarm panel to still function and show the open/closed zones and do the “chirp” when the doors open/close. (I know the Ring Alarm base has that function too, but since it’s installed upstairs I can’t hear it as well…)

In any case… with the Retrofit installed in parallel, the zones on the original panel no longer function… when I open a door, the old panel quickly alerts., but immediately goes back to the “closed” state as if the door has been immediately closed.

I used a multimeter to measure the resistance and voltage across the affected zone with and without the Retrofit installed, and here’s what I observed:

For voltage (measured across the zone; Z1 and C)

Door state | DSC only | DSC + Retrofit |

OPEN | 7.9 V | 2.0 V |

CLOSED | 0 V | 0 V |

For resistance (measured across the zone; Z1 and C):

Door state | DSC only | DSC + Retrofit |

OPEN | OPEN | OPEN |

CLOSED | 0 ohms | 2 ohms |

So with the Retrofit removed, the old alarm works normally… with the Retrofit installed in parallel the zones on the old alarm no longer work properly. I suspect it may have to do with the voltage drop in the OPEN state with the Retrofit installed, but I don’t know for sure.

Anyone know if there’s anything I can do to get the old alarm working in parallel with the Retrofit?

There are no EOL resistors installed on the old alarm…

Thank you!

1 Like

Hello,

Did you find a solution to your problem. I’m installing mine now and am running into similar issues. Also, which end of line resistors did you use i.e. how many ohms?

Thanks!

Well, you are basically opening a circuit, but even if it’s in parallel, Ring Retrofit or your old alarm panel may be internally closing it when they detect this.

Any reason as to why you can’t move the Ring Base Station to a location where you can hear the beep? Also, could an Echo Dot provide notification about “door or window open” maybe with a routine?

@Swami1227 - Retrofit can work without any resistors from what I understand.

My .02…

As others have mentioned there is value in legacy alarm panels, I haven’t seen a replacement for those where lights flash if zones are active. If we could replace that and wire both ends with Ring devices, that might be good.
Is it possible to wire this in series? Can we make the connection from the terminals on the legacy alarm panel, to the retrofit terminals?