Ring Pro Transformer Humming Noise

Installed a Ring Pro, with the included transformer (UK) and Power Kit V2 in my hall way.

The transformer is emitting a low level hum sound. You can only hear it when there’s silence but I can’t ignore it, making me still notice it. I also believe it is causing me headaches due to the electrical fields but I could be wrong.

Under Doorbell Kit Settings in the App, the option is set to none because it’s not connected to a chime box. Voltage reading is Very Good 4022 mV.

Is this normal for the transformer to do this? or should I raise a ticket for a exchange.

Thanks

Glad you asked @MTrials! This is certainly an odd behavior to hear of. While a low frequency hum is actually normal in many powered or even radio wave emitting devices, it shouldn’t be loud enough to cause a distraction in your home. Feel free to inquire with our support team by phone for a better look and potential swap, if needed.

Another possibility is the need to explore the electric panel or wiring there. If this is the case, we recommend consulting with a licensed electrician.

To reach out support team, please give them a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Thanks for the reply!

Contacted support and were extremely helpful. It’s now be escalated.

1 Like

Hi did you get a resolution to this. Just had mine installed and its doing the same. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi, got same issue - did you get this fixed ? Apologies old post

1 Like

Looks like I stumbled across my own post! Never got a notification regarding any replies.

Honestly, support were great. Received a new transformer and Power Kit (to rule that out) but haven’t got around to installing it due to everything else that’s going on at the moment. I needed a running device and didn’t want to interrupt this in anyway…

While the noise is still audioble. I don’t notice it anymore, so I must of got used to the sound. One day I really should get it changed over but looks like I’ve learned to live with it.

Sorry this doesn’t really help but in the long run it might :slight_smile:

1 Like

Silly as this may sound, we found the root cause! We have replaced 3 blown transformers and 2 mechanical wired chimes. We kept getting a sporadic hum then the transformer would blow. After replacing both once again, the hum was there and we decided it must be the Ring Doorbell Pro itself. We started to unscrew it from the trim around the door and the hum stopped. We then screwed it back in and the hum started again! It seems the screws that come with the Ring Pro Doorbell are longer than what we had on there before. The screw actually went through the trim and the point of the screw was ‘touching’ the wiring! Now - everything is working great - no hum- no blown transformers!

1 Like