Ring Pro lens cover crazing

The plastic cover on my 4 year old Ring Pro door bell has started getting fine cracks from weathering. It it totally useless at night but better during the day. What recourse do I have, if any, and am I going to have to get another unit.

If I have to get another unit you can bet it won’t be a ring as they are way to expensive to be having to be replaced every few years.

1 Like

It does get a few hours of morning sun. What is, somewhat, baffling to me is that the bottom plastic, over the IR, is almost perfect still, as seen in the above photo. Are they made out of different material? They’ve both had the same time in the same sun.

One thought occurred. Has anyone tried prying of the piece of plastic and cutting, or getting cut, a piece of glass to put over the lens. I may give this a try and see what happens. If it works I’ll let everyone know.

Wow, no replies to you after all this time? Did you try replacing the plastic as contemplated? Success? I saw one older thread about this seemingly very common issue, where someone had carefully cut a half-inch hole through the plastic over the lens and glued on a piece of UV-resistant plastic or glass instead. Surprising that Ring is not acknowledging a defect and, to my knowledge so far, has not offered a remedy other than a 35% discount on replacement of the whole unit. Any new insights since your July 2022 posts?

Mine was doing the same thing. I just called to see if my extended warranty covered it and it does. They are replacing at no cost. I have had my device 3 years.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.