Ring Pro internal digital chime went from 10 seconds to less than one second

I have a wired Ring Pro doorbell, was working well (for years). There are two internal wired digital chimes that were also working fine, set to ring for 10 seconds. A few weeks ago (or so…) the ring went from 10 seconds to less than one second. Nothing seems to have changed except some software functionality in the Ring app, the “Ring tone length” is still set to 10 seconds.

Thoughts?

Hi @sanslos! Have you attempted to change the chime type in the Ring app? There is a digital type 1 and 2, in which your chimes may work better via one of these options. If this does not resolve your concerns, the best next step here will be to remove and reinstall the Ring app on your mobile device to ensure it is up to date. Next, please remove your Video Doorbell Pro from power. In the Ring app, visit your Doorbell Pro Device Settings and alter the in home chime setting to the other digital chime, save, then switch back to original digital chime option, and save. Test both digital chime options again to see if one is more compatible than the other for your chimes. If possible, try also changing the tone on the digital chimes to see if another works better. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Curious. I have version 3.32.1 of the Ring app, released Nov 2, 2020, and it only has “Doorbell Type” of “Digital”, there is no type number. I uninstalled and reinstalled the app, no change. I’m not sure how to proceed since the suggestions depend on “type” being available.

Am I looking in the wrong place? I’m in Device Settings -> General Settings -> Doorbell Chime Type.

Thanks for the help.

1 Like

You are definitely looking in the right place, @sanslos! After double checking, I’m realizing that the Doorbell Pro does not have two digital choices as it can detect a compatible chime in series with just the one digital choice. The digital type two exists for the Doorbell 3 plus, as I was mistakenly looking at. Sorry for any confusion that brought!

Nevertheless, the steps remain to change, then change back and save to see if this fixes it. If readjusting chime type settings, and altering the digital chime tone on the chime itself, did not work, this may require a closer look from our support team. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Went through the steps, same problem (didn’t change the settings on the chime yet, that’s a bit more inconvenient. It has a Pro Power Kit V2, which looks fine). I notice that when I set the doorbell type to None or Mechanical it seems to work fine (no internal chime though). When I use Digital the internal chime sounds for less than half a second, there is a distinct “electrical snap” sound, the Ring resets. I’ve attached videos of the three examples (in a zip’ed folder).

So, seems to be something specifically to do with the digital setting and power (maybe?).