Ring Pro Goes Offline - Heat Related

Hello,

I have a Ring Pro that has been going offline between 5:45-6:15pm. This seems to happen everyday that the outside temperature is 100 degrees or more (in Vegas). When this device goes offline it will not reconnect until I reset the power to it. Yesterday, when it went offline I took my IR thermometer to it and it was reading 149 degrees at the button. This leads me to believe that this issue is thermal related.

The Ring Pro is the only device that that goes offline. All other wireless devices (located in the home) maintain connection. So, I do not believe my issue is with my wifi.

Has anyone else had an issue similar to this? My subscription with Ring will expire in a few months and I am not sure if I am going to keep this device and renew the subscription.

I am having issue of ring doorbell pro overheating and not working properly. What is ring doing to resolve this issue.

toothdoctor1969,

I also hope for a solution for this. At 5:45pm it was offline again. I thought that my IR thermometer may have been off so I grabbed my fluke and thermocouple. It read at 150 degrees.

Ding… Ring is offline again. About 5:30 today. A bit warmer today (159 degrees). This device does not even face west. I wish there would be some sort of notifcation when it goes offline. Better yet a resolve for the heat issues.

1 Like

Hey neighbors! Since everyone’s situation will be different, I’d recommend reaching out to our support team at one of the numbers available here. They’ll be able to take a closer look at your device and determine what is causing it to drop offline as well as ensure the temperature stays within a safe range. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support. Feel free to report back on what support recommends, as it may help others with the same concern! :slight_smile:

Having the same issue. Device was fine in the cooler months and now twice my Ring Pro has gone offline. Most recently when away on vacation. There is also no notifiction that the device went offline. Two major issues that need to be looked at.

Hi @J111! The first best step for this concern will be to check your Device Health in the Ring app. There you will see information and status of power and network resources. Please confirm that your RSSI, or wifi signal strength, is plenty sufficient and showing no signs of interference. Power levels should also read as very good, as this will ensure it did not fall offline due to power outage or loss of power.

I recommend also checking for any Internet service provider outages or maintenance in the area during this time. Normal temperatures should not cause your device to fall offline, however, it’s worth noting the operating temperature required for the Doorbell Pro is -5 to 120 degrees F (-20.5 to 48.5 degrees C). I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

I’m having the exact same issue living in LV. Did you get a resolution? thanks,

Mrenzz,

At this time I do not have an answer for this issue. I have procastinated on calling customer service. However, I really need to do it. My sevice expires next month and I still have issues.

Lately, it has been warmer in Vegas and this Ring Pro is going down twice a day now. Last night (around 6:30pm) it was reading 162 degrees at the button. This morning (around 8:15am) when it was woking it was reading 112 degrees. It went offline again (around 1:30pm) today and it was reading 150 degrees. As you can see it is not in direct sun light.

When your Ring goes down, have you checked the temp?

I’m having what seems like the same issue. The device has work fine through the winter. The last two days our ring pro on our side door went offline and wouldn’t reconnect without a full reset and lots of trying. For context this is a west facing door with a 6 ft overhang so sun exposure wouldn’t be all day. It’s April in the Midwest and yesterday the ambient high just barely cracked 80 deg f, it’s warm but not what I’d call hot. The person I spoke with on the support line suggested that the device shutting down to protect the battery was normal and I would need to reconnect each time… With the hassle that involves I cannot imagine ring expects that folks in my area or the many hotter areas reset daily for half the year. Has anyone gotten a satisfactory solution for this? Do the new ring pro models fair better in warm temps?

Thought I would bring this back up one last time. Now, that the cooler months have passed in Vegas. Each day that the temperature has been over 98 degrees the Ring Pro goes offline each evening. Just the same as it did last year :unamused:. So, I know this is heat related. The device worked fine through the cooler months. Has Ring been able to find a solution? Maybe, a heat sink?

Also, I see ring has removed all of my photos showing the device temperature reading in excess of 140 degrees using multiple devices to read the tempature.

Hi @LVMini. Sorry that your images were removed. We recently made a few changes to the Ring Community platform, and some of the images and links shared did not transfer over. The operating temperature for the Ring doorbell is up to 120º. If the device reaches this temperature, it will automatically shut down as a safety feature that cannot be overridden.

I’m having the same issue. My Ring Doorbell Pro goes offline every day when the outside temperature reaches 83+. My Ring Pro faces East and is under the porch roof, so it never receives direct sunlight. My theory is that the transformer (which I upgraded to 16V/30ma) is in the ATTIC where the temperatures can reach 100+ easily. I checked the Ring Device Health 30 minutes prior to it going offline and the voltage was 17V. So could it be the transformer in the attic starts failing or dropping voltage when the temperature rises?

Hi @user61016. It is definitely worth looking into the temperature on the transformer, which could affect the power. I’d recommend consulting a qualified electrician to examine the transformer and the wiring to ensure it is done so safely.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.