Ring pro doorbell no longer recording at start of detected motion

Installed a Ring Pro doorbell after Christmas and it worked great. It would pick up activity on the far edges of the set detection area and I could easily see the duration of the activities. Mostly people just walking by. However, this week it started to not capture the start of the motion, and the recalled videos would just show me the person walking out of the frame. Or, it starts the video with the person smack in the middle, not having captured the start. The camera lenses is clean, and we’ve not had any internet interruptions. No settings have been changed. What do I need to troubleshoot?

Hi @Karma, do you have Snapshot Capture enabled for your Ring Video Doorbell Pro? If you do, please go into the Device > Device Settings > Snapshot Capture and then turn this off. Once this is off, observe the videos throughout the next couple days and see if the recordings start at the correct times. If they start to record at the correct times instead of missing the first part of the motion, please reach out to our support team here to report this or for further troubleshooting if disabling Snapshot does not address this.

Thanks for the reply. I’ve turned off snapshots and will wait to see what happens. I’ve already tried resetting my wireless, my router, and did a hard reset of the Ring Pro doorbell.

1 Like

Duh, dumb idea! I And Everyone needs to see faces approaching not @$$’$ leaving.
Someone lost track of being able to identify PEOPLE on the porch, at the door peeping in windows!!! HELP!

YES! Same stupid problem!!! Please RING. FIX it for all all safety sake and concerns.
It’s scary!

We’re here to help, @Please-Help. There are various motion settings, features, and options available to you in the Ring app. Motion zones and sensitivity is certainly the best settings to check first. People Only Mode is another setting I recommend checking. If people only mode is disabled, try enabling it. If it is already enabled while you are receiving too many motion events, see if disabling this option helps. As environments vary from one to the next, finding the most accurate motion settings configuration will come from trial and error. Remember that your Ring devices can also be physically altered in mounting angle or view for fine tuning. Chelsea’s response prior in this thread may also help here. If not, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.