Ring Pro disconnects from wifi after ringing

My ring pro will disconnect from wifi. It will be working fine. Good power and wifi per the device health. I will ring the doorbell to test it. It rings the bell and app. Then it disconnects. After a bit, I can connect again. Everything will look good, then I press the bell. Disconnects. After checking everything I could think to check and going through setup again, I bought a new ring pro. Connected it in the same location to the same router and bell (after removing the old one) and it works fine. This leads me to conclude that the old ring pro is broken. But before I throw away a $200 device, I want to see if it can be salvaged / made to work properly.

The one I replaced is about 4 or 5 years old and used to work just fine until about a month ago. Is 4-5 year just the life expectancy of this device? I should note that I live in MN and it gets cold here, though the highs have been in the 30’s when it quit working.

I’ve had a Ring Pro for about 4 or 5 years and it is now disconnecting on a regular basis. Replaced it and the new one works fine. What is the life expectacy for a Ring Pro?

1 Like

Hi @Bort. Have you tried resetting your original Doorbell or contacting our support team regarding this concern? If not, I’d first recommend resetting it by holding down the setup button for at least 20 seconds. Once that’s done, you’d want to set it back up in the Ring App and test it out. If it’s still exhibiting the same behavior, I’d recommend reaching out to our support team so they can take a closer look and diagnose the problem. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile:

I did hold the reset down for 30 seconds as that what I read in some online help. That was at a point when it was not connected to wifi. I saw nothing at the device. No lights. Nothing. Then I went to the store and bought a new one. Decided to give it one more try and low and behold it was connected. However it disconnected again when I rang it.

I started to chat to support, but saw that they don’t do tech support via chat. I was going to call, but after searching and reading consistent comments that support was not helpful or there were long wait times, I opted to try this forum.

What the life expectancy is for a Ring Pro? Should it last longer than 4 or 5 years? Is there any battery in the Pro (I know it requires external power, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t an internal battery as well).

@Bort Ring devices are meant to last for many years with regular use, so our support team would be the best point of contact in regards to the unresponsive Doorbell. They’re able to actually pull up your account and help diagnose what may have caused the Doorbell to become unresponsive.

I bought two units last Christmas. My daughters unit is using the Diode and the chime works only if you press the Ring for a long time - unacceptable.

I just got my third replacement unit and with all the other once the battery goes down to 0 or two 2 percent before in goes on hard wire. At the low or zero voltage the live view is not working and sometimes I have to reconnect to the Internet.

In our Neighborhood Network I see complains as well.

I am surprised that Costco, a very reputable company, is still selling this junk.

I would think a lawyer may pick up the problems and follow up with a class action law suit Toys R Us Credit Card

My experience was not so bad. The first Ring worked well for several years. The new one connected up easily and works fine. The integration with Alexa was great - Alexa just found it and started using it. My complaint is that the first one started failing after ringing. It took 4 or 5 years for that to happen, but this is a $200 device so throwing it away is tough. I plan to call support as was suggested. I just haven’t got to it yet. I read that the wait times are long, so it’s a matter of finding a time when I can sit on hold. Anyway, I’ll post the results of that when I have them. Too bad chat is no longer available for support.