Ring Pro cracked button

Found out that as I subscribe to the cloud storage it increases the warranty to 2-years, bargain. They sent me a complete new unit for free and I posted the old one back.

1 Like

My Ring Doorbell Pro is 3,5 years old. Didn’t expect warranty, so I found a friend to print out the 3D print that was posted here. Just replaced the broken button myself (following the instructions here: https://youtu.be/nwr9A2uHMkk) and I am very happy to see that it worked very well. Even an improvement as the new button is hard wheather proof plastic in stead of the factory soft plastic.

Concerning the inside of the doorbell Pro I only can say that Ring did a good job for the case of the doorbell. It was very clean, even after 3,5 years in sun and rain.

So I was just told that I need to purchase a new $350 dollar doorbell. She did offer a 35% discount. So sad that they won’t stand behind this.

you can get a replacement button for cheap on Etsy

This seems unacceptable that a replacement button isn’t being freely supplied as It is relatively easy to replace the button.

I ended up having to source a replacement button from someone on eBay in the UK which was 3D printed.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143740912160

This was not cheap for a little plastic button (£13 with postage) but is a lot better than the original and took around 5 minutes to fit. Photo attached.

Good grief, there are some people making a small fortune on ebay with these. They’re so cheap to have printed… market opportunism I suppose!

Ridiculous that this secondary market even needs to exist. Ring continue to ignore this issue.

Most of the printed buttons you’re seeing on Ebay or Etsy are either my design or probably one other person (more rounded button top). The ebay listings did not have my permission to use my design but it’s not worth seeking legal action against them since I don’t make any money from them. I was printing them and offering them to those that needed them for a donation to cover my costs, printer time and shipping but now that they seem to have their own secondary market I guess those folks are profiting from them. As long as the community is getting what they need where Ring is falling flat, that’s what’s important to me. I created the design out of necessity and shared it to help others. So it sounds like it’s at least doing that. Best of luck folks, I’ll likely be moving to another platform in our new home we’re building. Likely it will be the new Wyze line of products, including their doorbell, cameras, intelligent sprinkler controller, thermostat, etc.

Hat tip to you @codemonkey, you’ve been a massive help!

Pop back and tell us how you’re getting on with Wyze in due course

@CableGuy10 wrote:

This seems unacceptable that a replacement button isn’t being freely supplied as It is relatively easy to replace the button.

I ended up having to source a replacement button from someone on eBay in the UK which was 3D printed.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143740912160

This was not cheap for a little plastic button (£13 with postage) but is a lot better than the original and took around 5 minutes to fit. Photo attached.

yeah I wouldn’t promote the sellers on ebay especially in UK as they have all downloaded a file and printed it using PLA plastic - which warps in the sun, and that 3d file was not supposed to be printed and sold for profit, as made by codemonkey.

There is a lady on etsy - who is actually UK based, and making brilliant alternate designs to the original, and in very nice colours too.

Just search for ring doorbell pro replacement button. That is where I got mine and couldn’t be happier.

I have the exact same issue with a 2 year old Ring Pro doorbell and just called Ring support and they are replacing it free of charge. They didn’t ask anything about when I purchased it or the warranty, I just had to send a picture of the issue, overall I’ve had a good experience so far.

Are you covered under the Ring Protect plan? If yes then I would not expect a charge for replacement (perhaps conditioned on whether the Ring Pro was purchased within the coverage period and not before it, a condition that I think is ridiculous)

I called after my button broke after a few years and they offered me a 35% discount on a new doorbell. Why give them more money for selling junk? This is how the American car manufacturers made money until the foreign manufacturers showed them that quality sells.
I did try waiting for a supervisor but after 10 minutes I gave up. Going to find another brand.

I too have a Ring Doorbell Pro with a crack that is nearly identical to those I have seen in this topic. This is definitely a design defect. They should have a recall for these. 2 years or 6 years, doesn’t matter.

I just got off the phone with Ring and a competent and polite customer service rep knew exactly what the problem was that I described. I sent him a photo and he is shipping a new replacement out to me. I should note that I do have a Protect Plus Plan which extends the warranty. I believe this particular Ring Doorbell Pro is more than two years old But as I stated, it is not a component that should fail like this.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Mine was 2.5 years old - basic plan only, after reading this i was expecting a fight…

I didn’t even have to argue - they just offered a replacement straight up. Top class service.

Count me in. My Pics look almost identical to everyone else’s. On with support now, offered 35% discount. I explained that even apple will replace a battery (or at least a huge discount) when they realize a design defect.

If a “button” is not designed to be pushed or an “outside” button is not designed to be exposed to the sun, it’s a design defect or materials defect.

Waiting on a supervisor to approve. My agent “never heard of this issue”. Doh.

I wonder how many folks would be willing to pay about $50 including shipping both ways to have a ring authorized repair shop simply swap the button. I’m usually a DIY guy, but I’d rather not use a 3rd party part especially if I have to disassemble to unit to replace the button.

Of course, even my 18 y/o daughter bought a $49 iphone battery kit online and using a video swapped her moms iphone battery.

So what I did was use some silcone chalking and a 1 inch furniture slider. Digged out the foam of the slider and added enough chalking just to fill the furniture slider. Then put it on the doorbell and place a sign there for 2-3 days asking people not to press it. its been working for over a year now. that said i have had server issues with ring services lately… but at least no more cracked buttons right? LOL!
Sliders
Chalking

1 Like

Yes, here in The Netherlands the same experience. more then 2 yrs old, but will receive free of charge a new one . Ring well done!!