Ring Pro blowing transformer

Ring pro has blown out 3 different transformers. We installed the Ring and it worked for one ring then stopped. Was no longer getting power. Replaced the transformer and tried again but the same thing happened. Bought a third transformer and had an electrician install it, but the same thing happened again. The electrician said the transformer was blown from the Ring. There was an old doorbell hooked up , which was working fine, so it’s not the wiring. What do I have to do to get this ring doorbell to work?

Hey @julianowak. If you have not already, this matter would be best reviewed with our support team over the phone. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

This is a nonsense reply . Two electricians have now advised me that the ring doorbell is blowing the two transformers that were connected as per the instructions provided. I want an answer on why my device does not work and none of this stupidity mentioning COVID , its just a cope out. I have asked my electrician to provide me with a written explanation of the problem after which i shall talk to the local ring representatives here in Melbourne Australia. If I do not get satisfaction i shall report the matter to the ACCC (The Australian consumer authorities). I do not intend to waste my time with email banter! For a company which is so forthright in sprucing its security credentials your failure to even provide some solace on the basic of getting the bloody thing to work is breath-taking

1 Like

Silly as this may sound, we found the root cause! We have replaced 3 blown transformers and 2 mechanical wired chimes. We kept getting a sporadic hum then the transformer would blow. After replacing both once again, the hum was there and we decided it must be the Ring Doorbell Pro itself. We started to unscrew it from the trim around the door and the hum stopped. We then screwed it back in and the hum started again! It seems the screws that come with the Ring Pro Doorbell are longer than what we had on there before. The screw actually went through the trim and the point of the screw was ‘touching’ the wiring! After using a slightly shorter screw - everything is working great - no hum- no blown transformers!

1 Like

Hi @Kjoyce. That is definitely an interesting solution, and thank you for sharing it with the Community! It’s something that other neighbors may run into, so your solution may be helpful for them as well. I’m glad you were able to figure it all out. :slight_smile:

1 Like