Ring Pro 2 motion/recording issues

I just installed the Pro 2 after having my Pro for years. The Pro had image quality issues due to scratches and recorded everything I needed. The Pro 2 has great image quality, I’m getting used to the fish bowl look of the picture, but the main thing I have an issue with is that its not recording obvious movement in the front of my house. I have stripped the Smart Alerts and have Motion Sensitivity to Max, but if I drive away from my house or even back to my house its not catching my car. I have issues in and around my area with mail thieves so I need for the doorbell to record all cars driving by and I live on a cul de sac. Is there a reason its not recording everything? Sometimes it will catch the FedEx and UPS truck but not USPS and most cars and people. Is it just the Pro 2?

kornieme -

I hope you can find a way to get accurate answers to your questions. If so, it would be great if you could post them here.

My guess is that Ring probably deliberately changed motion detection algorithms/capability in Ring 2nd Gen products (for reasons that I would probably object to). This might explain the many complaints on this website (and others) indicating that the motion detection capability in Ring 2nd Gen products is inferior to those found in Ring 1st Gen products.

I wish Ring had done the ethical thing and warned current/potential customers about the motion detection capability differences between Ring 2nd Gen and Ring 1st Gen products BEFORE people purchased Ring 2nd Gen products – so that customers could make an informed decision on whether or not they wanted to purchase such products. Let’s face it… most people would naturally assume that 2nd Gen products would represent an UPGRADE (rather than a DOWNGRADE) of important features.

Motion Frequency? Do you mean Motion Sensitivity? It was mid-way but I set it to Max since mid-way was not capturing motion.

SolarEclipse -

I think the reason the OP is confused is because they purchased a:

Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2

If so, there presumably would be no “Motion Frequency” setting available because it is a “wired” (rather than battery-operated) doorbell.

Working with support, getting a new Pro 2 sent to replace the one I have. Its believed that the IR is faulty on the one I got.

1 Like

kornieme -

After you’ve had a chance to test the replacement doorbell, I hope you post the results here (for the benefit of other Ring Community members).