Ring Peephole Cam Low Visitor/Mic Volume

I just bought a new Peephole Cam and can barely hear anything my visitor is saying. It’s not a permissions problem because the audio does come through, but it’s very, very soft in contrast to my voice over the speaker, which my visitor can hear clearly. Same thing happens on my Android phone and my wife’s iPhone. When I go to history and play back the recording, the volume difference between the 2 people speaking is very obvious. Is this a hardware defect?

1 Like

Hi @ystan! The best first thing to check here is battery charge and wifi signal efficiency. A low battery might have a tougher time powering all components equally, which could make your microphone seem quiet while your speaker is loud. Wifi interference will usually cause both audio and video concerns, but can sometimes hinder specific audio like the microphone packets. If these variables check out, please also check that the ribbon cable on the Peephole Cam is securely attached, and that there are no obstructions (stickers/ tape) near the microphone.

Although your permissions are accepted, removing and reinstalling the Ring app is a great step in ensuring for optimal integration with your mobile device. Please also ensure there are no audio accessibility options or bluetooth enabled on your mobile device. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

This is a brand new device with a fully charged battery.

My WiFi signal is excellent. If it were blocking any audio traffic, I expect to receive no feed at all, but I do receive an audio feed at an extremely low volume. If this was a network problem, then the recording should be different, but there is a stark volume contrast even in the recording.

I have also tried removing and reinstalling the app and using both Android and iPhone so the problem is not with the app. Both phones do not have any special bluetooth/accessibility options enabled.

The device does not come with any protection around the microphone and there is no obstruction in front of it. The ribbon cable is as secure as can be.

I’ve also had my original unit replaced by the distributor and the problem remains, so this is most likely a product design or firmware defect, unless it was a manufacturing defect that affected the entire batch of hardware. I tried the Video Doorbell at the store and it experienced no such problems, so this looks isolated to the Peephole model. Can you please verify the cause and fix this please?

How do customers get proper support from ring? I paid for a defective service and ring is just ignoring my complaints.

Same problem here.

I pretty much gave up 2 way sound on this device.

Kind of wishing I saw this post before I installed the Ring peephole. Same problem, I can barely hear the person at the door. If the person knocks on the door (current state: video is running, person talking, they can hear me, I can seem them, but can barely hear them)… the door knock volume is quite clear on my iOS device.

So, now im thinking that the mic is either placed in a strange spot behind the device, it has something to do with the knock detection, or the mic is poorly placed on the device. I have not found the little hole where the mic is (yet), but I’ll be looking for that.

Key fact, the Ring mic is selectively picking up and transmitting sound and video to my handheld, just not the sound that I actually need to hear.

Same audio issue. Judging by all the customer issues with low/no outside audio, this is a product defect. Reviews from unsatisfied customers will inevitably hurt sales. Of course that doesn’t help those who already purchased the device unless it leads to a correction or replacement.

Hey neighbors! If this concern persists after trying the suggestions that Marley made, it would be best for you to contact our support team directly so they can take a deeper look at your device and account. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile:

6 days in and I’m experiencing the same issue. Visitors sound inaudibly quiet and muffled, to the point I can’t distinguish a word they’re saying. My voice on the other hand is loud and crystal clear. Excellent WiFi signal and video quality and no other issues. SO WHY IS THIS HAPPENING??? Very frustrating and makes the main features of this item pointless. SOLUTIONS???

Installed it on my front door over the weekend and found the same issue. The voice for the person outside is very faint I can hardly hear it but my voice on the other had is clear. It’s like the mic outside is obstructed or needed amplifying. Tried to review the recording on multiple devices and its the same - very low - inaudiable for the outside person. Did the device reset and check the flex ribbon cable - unluplugged/plugged it back - still the same and no improvement.

Hope they can fix this as it defeats the 2 way communication feature!

I’ve been trying to see if this has been discussed anywhere else and if there have been any solutions - it seems this problem was first posted here in early August.

Is this a new issue or an ongoing one? When was this problem first identified? Perhaps it could be a faulty batch… If so, perhaps Ring could identify the faulty batch with our serial numbers and we could then return our exchange our items. Has anyone found a solution? What was it? Could a software update fix the issue? What is the issue??? So many questions and ‘literally’ no way to get a cogent response from anyone at Ring…

Hmmm… the investigation continues…

I’m having the same issue with a brand new installed peephole cam.
Is there no quality control happening at ring!!
Wow

The person outside would have to yell directly into the bottom of the mic.
Design flaw!

SOLVED!!

The mic is dirty. Take battery out, spray a copious amount of terminal cleaner or contact cleaner (for electronics) into the hole at the top right of the doorbell (viewed from outside). It will probably make some crackly popping noises.

Wait a while for term cleaner to evaporate.

Put battery in.

Done