Ring Motion Alerts Off still pings Alexa

I still can’t believe this hasn’t been resolved by Ring, its a Ring issue and having someone from Ring try and say its an echo issue or use a crappy workaround is amateurish. I’m in the software business and if a coder came to me and said they could not fix this issue, they’d be fired.

One of the fundamental elements of Ring is the ability to connect to echo and utilise all the features that Alexa and smart home integration can bring. Ring is failing hugely in this critical area. I have a Ring Doorbell 2 and also the floodlight camera, the floodlight is still in the box as I’m scared I’ll get motion notifications constantly from front and back doors. Myself and my wife both work from home, it’s getting really annoying now, I have an echo in pretty much every room of my house.

I too agree.

Since Ring won’t fix this, I’ve found a solution that works for my situation. I have a Ring Pro Doorbell and Echo devices throughout the house. I take my dog out each morning around 5am and, of course, Alexa screams out “MOTION DETECTED AT FRONT DOOR”. To fix this, I created a Routine in the Alexa App that is on a schedule for 4:45am. The action is “DO NOT DISTURB” on “All Devices” → Until 6:45am (you can set “Until” or “Duration”). You could also set a voice-commanded Routine to set all your Echo devices to shut up for an hour, two hours, etc. for when someone is going to be triggering the cameras. It won’t stop the Ring notifications on your phone, but it will keep Alexa quiet. And most importantly, it will automatically turn her back on after a timeframe without you having to remember.

1 Like

Still waiting for this feature. Just to be clear, I think what we need Ring to do is provide a setting that will stop notifications for motion detection and doorbell presses independently - either by schedule or “snooze for…”.

I still want Alexa & other devices to tell me if someone presses the doorbell, but I don’t want to hear that it’s detected motion overnight, or if there are people I know walking around triggering the alarms (eg: workmen etc.)

1 Like

I think you are missing the issue. Yes we can manually turn off motion on Ring and Alexa. That is NOT what we are asking for. When we set Ring with a scheduled time to NOT detect motion, we expect the communications with Alexa to do the same thing. Ring is scheduled to NOT announce motion yet we still have Alexa devices announcing any motions at the door. The Ring software should not be pinging other devices that there is motion if we’ve scheduled it off.

No, to manually do this every time is not a solution. If Ring has this auto/schedule feature in the software it should work. It is very important to many of us and really devalues Ring and Alexa.

1 Like

What the last post said is exactly what we need!

I have a ring doorbell and a camera. The camera is on our garden office where my husband works. For security we want to be informed of movement between 7pm and 7am when he’s not working. But because the schedule doesn’t match Alexa I’m being notified of EVERY MOVEMENT he’s doing in there during his working hours.

DND is not an option as I need notifications from the doorbell. Turning motion off whilst will work during the day I don’t want to have to enable this each night. Chances are I’ll forget and that’s when we’ll actually need a notification. This NEEDS to be fixed!!

1 Like

I have my Ring Doorbell 2 hooked up to multiple echo’s, as that seemed more effective than buying a bunch of chimes separately.

BUT… the thing keeps waking me up in the middle of the night announcing that somebody is walking by my house at 3am. I want the ability to ALWAYS have the doorbell ring, no matter what, but NEVER have motion notifications.

The motion notifications are turned off in BOTH the Alexa and Ring apps and yet they still happen anyways. What’s the point of having those options to turn off and on if they don’t even work?

Seriously Ring… get it together. If your app is continuously sending notifications to other smart devices EVEN when those notifications have been turned off, then your programmers have failed.

1 Like

Ridiculous, over 2 years later and ring still hasnt fixed this issue.
Live in front of a school bus dropoff and a street over from a school so in the morning and afternoon theres a 20 min window of continous motion.
Never mattered bc I was at work. Had severely invasived surgery and trying to deal with this bs in pain and high as a kite off pain meds bc I dont want to hear these god forsaken alerts.
Then I call ring support and the guy I talked to was freaking higher than I was. I’m done with ring and im freaking done with echos.
Next chance I get im freaking shooting my echos and buying google products

2 Likes

Same situation here: The Ring 2 Doorbell wired

I found that things worked only for a few weeks, then deteriorated into a barely functions state. I have two problems with mine:

1. The same as everyone else, with notifications still coming through even though I have a sleep plan setup within the app (6am-9am weekdays). I still get notified on my mobile and the specified Alexa devices (Echo screen, Dot and the big one)
  2. The motion sensor is all but useless at this point. I’d be lucky to see the person out of the garden and half-way up the street before I get a notification.

These features worked perfectly for about a month then, just flopped. All troubleshooting done - played with motion settings (pretty much all app settings), reset/re-paired device, removed from the app, uninstalled app, gave static IP in router, tried on pretty much all WiFi frequencies, was on with Ring tech for over an hour going through the exact steps I had been through 100 times already and the performance is the same - poor.

Any update on this? Are they just poor devices?

RIDICULOUS !!! this feature was first requested back in 2019. Over 3 Years ago !!!
I work shifts and there are times where I do not want Alexa telling me that the postman is delivering a letter. I created a schedule in the Ring App that works perfectly, but Alexa still wakes me up telling me there is ‘motion at the front door’.
The level of integration between Ring and Alexa is a DISGRACE !!!
It is simply NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE.

2 Likes

I almost thought I had it by setting up an Alexa DND routine but it’s all or nothing as you can’t make it device specific.

As I’m sure you know, this doesn’t solve this 4-year Old problem.
What is needed is for the Ring devices to snooze notifications to all recipients, as well as to the individual “snoozer”.