Ring Mac App Problem

I have recently discovered a problem with the updated app for Mac. Once you open up the video window, you used to be able to make the video larger. Now, that doesn’t seem to be the case, but once you click the video window, it disappears. When this happens, you can no longer click anywhere on the app window. Quit doesn’t work. Even though the app seems to be running (not crashing), the only option I can do is force quit the app. Screen video attached - I had to zip it since apparently .mov files aren’t acceptable form of upload and also limited in size, so reduced to 480p.

MacOS 10.15.1

Ring App 2.4.0 (745)

Screen Recording 2019-11-17 at 9.52.52 AM_480.mov.zip (3.71 MB)

2 Likes

We greatly appreciate your feedback @prcdbear! I’ve shared your detailed post and video example with our team who is going to look into this further. In the meantime, please try to remove and reinstall the Ring application on your Mac. Additionally, please double-check that there are no screen resolution settings or apps in the background that might interfere with the Mac app functionality.

I’ve moved the post to our Apps board so other neighbors who might have an app concern or suggestions from a similar experience, might be able to add to this. Please let me know if the above steps help to improve anything! :slight_smile:

Thank you! The first thing I did was uninstall/reinstall. This seemed to start in the last update of the app, but I can’ remember if it was before or after the Catalina release. I think it was after. I know they updated the app to support dark mode, but it seems like a bug was introduced that wasn’t there before.

There’s nothing else running that would possibly change the screen resolutions. (i.e. no apps or games, etc.). Catalina also introducted picture-in-picture video, maybe there’s some conflict with that. I only base that on the behavior of how the video disappears and might be totally going the wrong direction there.

Thanks for the followup, forwarding, and moving!

Shane

2 Likes

I have a different issue with the Mac app 2.4.0 version. It works great for a while, then at some point when you open a video to view, it will open but not play. The only fix I have found so far is to completely close the Ring app, then open up again and everything works fine again for a while (hours, not days). The app does not crash, and control for shutting down works. The issue is the Quicktime video will not play after some perioid of the app being opened and used. This is happening on two different Macbook Pro’s with Catalina 10.15.1.

1 Like

I am having this same issue, Live video will expand, but when looking at a previous video, it will not let me “stretch” by dragging a corner.

Ring 2.4.2

MacBook Pro

Catalina MacOS 10.15.3 (19D76)

PRDC Bear, did you ever get a resolution to your problem. I am having exactly the same issues.

Marley, can you update if Ring is working on these issues raised back in November 2019. I am having exactly the same problems now. Thanks!!

Nope,

They made some suggestions, like signing out, or deleting the app and redownloading it. I know it’s just a bug in the app, so I am just not going to worry about it. It’s more annoying than anything, but doesn’t affect the functionality. Hopefully one day it wil be fixed.

The “quit” problem on the Macs was reported over a year ago, still happening. I was apparently running the non-mac version prior to finding and installing the Mac version assuming it’d be better. The non-Mac version had no issues, should have kept that one.

Ring - can this issue NOT be fixed? C’mon…

After being prompted to install the new app for mac, I have experienced the same issue of not being able to quit; one must force quit to get out of the app. The previous app worked well with no issues. Can we be advised when a fix is available? Thank you.

It’s rather interesting to note, my app was also updated this morning, and I do not have this issue any longer. I wonder what MacOS version you are using, and also wondering if maybe they are using some sort of safari api in development of that app (if that’s even possible – I am not an app developer). Since you posted, Apple has released Safari 14 which I also updated.

I’m also having a problem with the Ring app on my desktop Mac running OS 10.13.6 and the app version is 2.8.1. The app opens fine, I can view video fine. But the sotware will not close. I have to force quit everytime I use the software. I see others are having similar issues. Why can’t this be fixed?

1 Like

Live view not working and when closing the app i have to use force quit.

Macbook Air … os = Bigsur, unistalled and reinstalled app, no change. Everything has been rebooted multiple times, seems to work fine on other devices.

Any Ring staff here ? The app is not working, unable to connect and when closing it freezes requiring a forced shut down… please help

Hi neighbors. If you’ve made sure that your OS/Ring app is up to date, and the suggested steps in this thread haven’t seemed to help, I’d suggest reaching out to our support team to further investigate this issue. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. Feel free to come back and let us know how the support team was able to resolve this for you!

Tom_Ring this complaint is all over in various threads. We shouldn’t need to wait on hold with support. Ring needs to fix the problem which is well over a year old and is not specific to MacOS 11. Or just announce that going forward only mobile device apps will be supported.

Thank you

1 Like

Is this issue going to be fixed ???

Hey TOM_RING …when is this going to be fixed ???
I hung up after being on hold for 30 minutes !
Why do we need to force quit to close the app ?

Awesome support from Master Tom Ring …NOT !
Not going to post and waste my time with this issue, there are better options available .

Hi @MontrealSouth. As this is a neighbor to neighbor support forum, and not a direct line to support, it would be best to contact our support team to look into this further with you. They will be able to look at your specific account details and initiate the best course of action for getting this resolved. Here in the Ring Community, we are able to recommend some troubleshooting steps, but in some cases such as this, you are best served by reaching out to our support team. Our support team contact information can be found in my previous post on this topic. Please, feel free to update the Community once you’ve contacted support. Thanks, Neighbor!