Ring Indoor Camera Red Light

I have a Ring Indoor Camera, sometimes the red light on the fron of it is on. The panphlet that came with the camera does not mention a red light only blue. Ring does not have a owners manual available to download for this camera.

Any ideas?

Thanks

That red light is the infrared sensor that comes on in low light or dark.

3 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

If the red lights are on in Home mode, does it mean that the camera is still videoing when it should be off? Potentially being accessed by a hacker?

@Seegull wrote:
If the red lights are on in Home mode, does it mean that the camera is still videoing when it should be off? Potentially being accessed by a hacker?

In home mode surely the camera will be videoing. In disarm mode is when it won’t !

same question from me??? I have notice the red lights on the front on only sometimes when in Home Mode??? Hey Ring what’s up?

1 Like

I’ve noticed a red light on mine recently too even when I’m in Home mode at home. I was concerned thinking somebody hacked and was watching but I played around with it and it goes off when lights are on or daylight. The red light is on when it’s dark. I think they must’ve changed something because it never did that before.

1 Like

Hi @bcooney91. Correct, the red light on the Indoor Cam is the Infrared Light that is used for night vision. When it is dark enough in the room, this light will activate. :slightly_smiling_face:

Why does the indoor camera red light come on (with a click) when motion detection, alert and live view are off? The camera should be doing nothing and whiting for instructions from my Ring system. The click is noticeable, annoying and concerning. Is This part of Amazon surveillance?

Yes, same question here. Never noticed it until earlier this week.

Hey neighbors. As you can see in the marked solution for this post, the red light is the infrared light. This comes on in low light settings and an audible “click” can be heard. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Searching as have same problem with indoor camera constantly clicking on and off and displaying the infrared light when its dark (which gets really annoying after a while), even when the device is in home mode and set to not record or send motion notifications.

The responses from ring don’t make any mention of why when set in home mode and therefore not recording the infrared constantly clicks on and off which seems a bit pointless when nothing too record!

How can this be disabled - short of switching the camera off at the plug which defeats the purpose of having it?

1 Like

I’m having the same problem. Turned off the camera but still hearing the clicking.

Hi @Markysharky and @chris_ayyye. With the Indoor Camera specifically, you have the option to turn the infrared light off in the Ring App. Tap the menu in the top left > Devices > your Indoor Cam > Device Settings > Video Settings > toggle Infrared Lights for Night Vision off. It’s important to note this will reduce visibility in low light, but this will prevent the red light from clicking on at night if you’d prefer. I hope this helps. :slight_smile:

Hi @Caitlyn_Ring thanks for the advice on how to turn off the infrared function which is an option to consider although requires a lot of manual intervention to switch infrared on and off depending on whether you are at home or not. it would be better if the camera could automatically switch between functions when home and away so that it doesn’t come on with infrared or record when at home but does when away from home. Not sure why ring products cant do this?

1 Like

@Markysharky We have the Modes feature which allows you to set different behaviors for your Ring Cameras based on what Mode they’re in, but it doesn’t extend to settings such as the infrared light. Other neighbors have also expressed an interest in more customization options for this feature. Feel free to check out the Feature Request board and see if this suggestion is there, or add it so other neighbors can vote on it as well. Thank you for your feedback!