Ring floodlight set to human size motion but cats set it off

My Ring flood light cam was working just fine and in the last week I have been getting awakened at various am times with patrolling cats. The motion it set to human size and the light is about 9 feet off the ground. I tried changing the settings and saving them (back and forth) to see if it was an electronic glitch but to no avail. Failure to discern the size difference of a human and a cat has become annoying. Has anyone had this issue and found a resolution?

There is already a topic discussing the same kind of issues take a look, no solution from RING yet though:

https://community.ring.com/t5/Security-Cams/Motion-Sensitivity-picking-up-pets-when-set-for-People-Only/td-p/3075

I dont know if this will work for everyone but my floodlight cam is wired so I turned off the power to it for a minute or so and now my 80 pound dog doesnt set it off. Its like rebooting your computer when it is acting up. I also found by reducing the sensitivity my light doesnt go on as much as it was. I think everyone should try the power down trick and see if it works.

I am sorry but i am sure others including myself have tried this quite a few times, i even had to go through it with support team and still nothing. Personally i do this every couple of days and also reset the whole lot of them and the wifi connections, dont ask me why as they still dont work.

They have admitted there is an issue, plain and simple the features dont work they are broke or whatever they are.

All of these things may be true. My system behaved last night so I will be interested to see if it continues to behave or not. I will post a reply in a few days as I can test it with my med\lg dog. I do wonder though as it worked fine for the first month and a half what triggered the change. Time will tell.

I broke my motion settings up into 3 sections to see if that would work. I dont know if the cats have been absent or this works but I have had two weeks of uninterupted sleep. Your mileage will vary depending on what type of setup you have and lighting issues and probably more than one solution. I do think there needs to be some work on the detection software, maybe add some masking to the smaller size detections to stop the false positives.

@YouStayOut wrote:

I broke my motion settings up into 3 sections to see if that would work. I dont know if the cats have been absent or this works but I have had two weeks of uninterupted sleep. Your mileage will vary depending on what type of setup you have and lighting issues and probably more than one solution. I do think there needs to be some work on the detection software, maybe add some masking to the smaller size detections to stop the false positives.

Glad you have had two weeks of good sleep :laughing:

i have personally tried this quite a few times on all 3 of my cameras (wired spotlight cams) and does not matter what i do they always end up detecting everything.

I noticed last night that the alerts came through a couple of times through the night, the strange things was i slept through it as i think my senses refuse to pick up on these alerts being a threat now :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Maybe they need to change the definition of PERSON, They need to rework the Algorithm used to detect people only. Or, the Algorithm used to turn on the Lights.