Ring Floodlight has started to Strobe/Flicker

Mine started doing this tonight. I did a reset and even changed wifi settings. Not flashing now until lights are activated. Then they just strobe.
Seems to be an ongoing problem. Doubt I’ll spend money on another one.

1 Like

My floodlight cam just started strobing as well. No power outage though. I’ve had it for just over two years so I think I’m past warranty :frowning:

1 Like

Same thing here. 2 floodlight cams. Both started strobing about 6 months apart. Garbage!

1 Like

Hi neighbors. Your Floodlight Cam should not be flickering or strobing. This could be due to how your Floodlight Cam is wired, so be sure to check the electrical circuit. You may need a qualified electrician to do this. Power cycling and rebooting the device are two troubleshooting steps you can try. You can perform a power cycle by disconnecting the Floodlight Cam from power for at least 10 minutes. To reboot, hold the setup button for 20 seconds, then release. If you are still experiencing strobing or flickering, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

3 Likes

Thanks for your input, Tom but it should be obvious that your solution attempts are not the real solution. We’ve all tried, numerous ways to get our Rings back on line without strobing. It’s obvious to me that your equipment appears to be designed to last slightly longer than your warranty period. Whilst we appreciate your warranty is good for three years, why is it that the rings cannot last perhaps to four years? I’m not impressed.

i agree RFH Tom’s response is awfully similar to Catlyin_ring above…good script, if it was helpful. find a solution to fix the problem for happy customers - not same product replacements & discounts on same defective product. come on now in this day & age u can’t figure this out?

Hey @RFHallett and @jd6272. I can assure you that my response is not scripted. Here in the Ring Community, we offer basic troubleshooting that fixes most concerns. Because there are numerous variables to consider when basic troubleshooting fails, we strongly advise you to contact support so that an agent can examine your specific case and determine how to resolve the issue. Additionally, if you are a Ring Protect Plan Plus subscriber, your device will be covered under an extended warranty as long as you have an active subscription. Thanks, neighbors.

1 Like

I now have the same issue. Both floodlight cams are leading to overnight raves in my back garden. Based on the complaints this is clearly a significant fault in the product that needs addressed.

1 Like

How does this have an ‘accepted answer’?
Same issue, same result - none of the debugging/resetting helps.
Its essentially a hardware failure, something that appears to be common based on the replies so far - bad PR to accept that? :expressionless:

LED lights ought to have longer life’s than this. And such a waste to throw it away because they have non-replaceable bulbs. Such brain dead (or rather, customer antagonistic) design.

No way am I replacing them with another Ring product, its a pain to get a ladder and replace something that is hard wired. It really ought to have had replaceable lights.

1 Like

same issue here, please address this hardware issue ring!

I find it hard to believe that someone hasn’t start a law suit for this flickering issue. It seems quite coincidental that it starts happening a few months after the warranty ends.

I am adding my flood light ring cam to the growing list of strobing or flickering issues. I followed the suggestions mentioned above and it has not resolved the issue. It also was purchased about 3 years ago. BTW, this ring floodlight cam replaced a flood light that had been working for more than twenty years with no strobing issues. :thinking:

2 Likes

Great. Now my floodlight has gone all disco on me. Anyone find a decent replacement that’s not Ring? This is ridiculous that so many of us are having the same issue and I have not seen one comment verifying the “fixes” work. Seems like the fix is in Amazon. A big money grab.

My lights too are strobing. Could have something to do with extreme weather temps we are having in the northeast. I’ve turned them off via switch for the time being. -12 f right now. Only supposed to get worse as the night goes on.

My Floodlight cam has done some strobe lighting a few times and stayed on a few times and figured out why on most occasions. One time i had a spider create a web in front of the camera that got a moisture and it reflected in the camera that would just set off the light. Second time it was very cold out and the camera was having issues switching between night and lighted modes. Another time the camera lost contact with wifi and kept the light on. And the last time was when it was raining hard and the rain water was dripping through an old gutter followed along the fascia board the water dripping down the camera and onto the sensor set off the camera. Other then that just make sure branches that easily sway in high wind are clipped and make sure the camera dont get heavy rain.

My lights also started not working/strobing. I have tried to disconnect from power and also resetting.
Neither worked to resolve the issue. I have had this unit a little over 3 years.

Go to you tube. There are some good videos on using components from a cheap floodlight cam to replace lights and driver. Reading all the other complaints about this issue (myself included) Ring wont be able to help you most likely as it is a design flaw. I am going to review my subscription as it gets closer to renewal for a more capable system that I dont have to hock my wife and kids to have a more reliable system. Stuff is junk

Yup! Mine started doing it too. I went through the app to at least shut the lights off, it says the lights are off but when it senses motion it activates with the lights on and flickering. I’ll have to check out the YouTube videos to see if there is an answer.

1 Like

Same strobe light problem. It’s been working fine for over a year. There evidently is a problem that Ring should correct.

I’m having the same issue. Both my cam close to 4 years and not the so-called lifetime LED light is flickering and no reset or flicking the switch works.

Very frustrating and now makes me wonder, what’s next?

1 Like